chriseyre2000

chriseyre2000

Exploring Graphs with Elixir: Chapter 3 is missing some macros

Exploring Graphs with Elixir by @tonyhammond

I am unsure if the book is intended to be worked through to recreate the library (which is great for learning things).

When the macros are first used it includes use for both Graph and Query.
So far only the Graph using has been defined, and then it only creates the read_graph and write_graph methods.

First Post!

mvellandi

mvellandi

In
p.96 – Ch 3 > Storing Graphs in the Graph Store > Using Macros
the code comment in graph.ex

quote do
   # other (listings, new_graph) functions here
   def read_graph...
   def write_graph...
end

implies the author will define a few more functions later, or WE will add them on our own.

On the following page (97), we’re told we can check out the whole NativeGraph library functions:

iex> NativeGraph.[TAB]
...

which includes ALL the functions it will eventually output when ALL are defined in the using macros in both GraphCommons.Graph and GraphCommons.Query

The author just needs to update this code snippet to correspond with the next paragraph in the book.

Through the end of Ch 3, I see only two more functions used:
list_graphs
list_graphs_dir

which I started defining in the next subsection, where first used:
p.100 – Ch 3 > Storing Graphs in the Graph Store > Listing

NOTE: I just noticed the author didn’t include these two functions in the source code either.

Here’s what I additionally wrote in my GraphCommons.Graph using macro

quote do

      def list_graphs(file_test \\ :exists?) do
         GraphCommons.Graph.list_graphs(unquote(graph_type), file_test)
      end

      def list_graphs_dir(graph_dir) do
         GraphCommons.Graph.list_graphs_dir(graph_dir, unquote(graph_type))
      end

   def read_graph...
   def write_graph...

end

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

GilWright
Working through the steps (checking that the Info,plist matches exactly), run the demo game and what appears is grey but does not fill th...
New
swlaschin
The book has the same “Problem space/Solution space” diagram on page 18 as is on page 17. The correct Problem/Solution space diagrams ar...
New
leonW
I ran this command after installing the sample application: $ cards add do something --owner Brian And got a file not found error: Fil...
New
jskubick
I found an issue in Chapter 7 regarding android:backgroundTint vs app:backgroundTint. How to replicate: load chapter-7 from zipfile i...
New
brunogirin
When I run the coverage example to report on missing lines, I get: pytest --cov=cards --report=term-missing ch7 ERROR: usage: pytest [op...
New
jonmac
The allprojects block listed on page 245 produces the following error when syncing gradle: “org.gradle.api.GradleScriptException: A prob...
New
s2k
Hi all, currently I wonder how the Tailwind colours work (or don’t work). For example, in app/views/layouts/application.html.erb I have...
New
rainforest
Hi, I’ve got a question about the implementation of PubSub when using a Phoenix.Socket.Transport behaviour rather than channels. Before ...
New
EdBorn
Title: Agile Web Development with Rails 7: (page 70) I am running windows 11 pro with rails 7.0.3 and ruby 3.1.2p20 (2022-04-12 revision...
New
redconfetti
Docker-Machine became part of the Docker Toolbox, which was deprecated in 2020, long after Docker Desktop supported Docker Engine nativel...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write Elixir tests that you can be proud of. Dive into Elixir’s test philosophy and gain mastery over the terminology and concepts that u...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build highly interactive applications without ever leaving Elixir, the way the experts do. Let LiveView take care of performance, scalabi...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New

Sub Categories: