Kurisu

Kurisu

Can I add Discourse as a forum feature to any website no matter its backend language?

Hello,
Please, let’s say I have a website with user authentication made with Elixir/Phoenix, and now want to add a forum to it (using a subdomain).

Is it possible for me to install discourse on my server and make it share the same users database as the main website?
So that users authenticated through the main website will be recognized on the forum too…

Or do you think it will be easier for me to build my own forum application as a child application of my website backend?

Thanks

Marked As Solved

AstonJ

AstonJ

Yes that’s entirely possible!

You can even go the other way, and have Discourse manage your users and then use it as a SSO provider (what we do here with our giveaways).

I’m actually currently wondering what to do with the forum and our homepage… right now feel the quickest route is to let Discourse deal with user sign-ups because it has some cool features (such as Twitter/GH auth, log in with email, 2FA etc). Can always swap after wards…

Also Liked

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

That’s what I’ve done on one of my domains a long while back. I setup an OpenID Connect server and built a backend for it that uses the discourse forum as the master login database and it’s worked exceptionally well as an SSO. I only wish discourse could be an OIDC server by itself or at least if some plugin already existed so I didn’t have to build my own a while back. :sweat_smile:

Kurisu

Kurisu

:slight_smile: Oh really nice. I will check the documentation and see how I can implement this too.

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

chasekaylee
Hi there everyone! Recently, I have fallen in love with programming with Elixir and have been having so much fun with it. I have been do...
New
dimitarvp
Hey everyone, I resumed work on my Elixir <=> SQLite library (which uses a Rust NIF underneath) and I am in a need of small and we...
New
ohm
Does anybody have good learning resources with regards to going into Event Driven Design, Architecture or Sourcing? I got recommended Er...
New
Jsdr3398
Are there any databases that require no setup (can be shipped in a small zip together with the project)?
New
andrea
Can Phoenix LiveView be used in multi-page applications, unlike React/Vue/Blazor which seems to be targeted for SPA?
New
joshi
Hey everybody! I’m working on the project that includes import of Oracle data to PostgreSQL. That data comes as Oracle export (expdp) fi...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I am trying to get a Github Action working with Windows and Bakeware because I am trying to create a release using it. Howeve...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have recently been delving into more functional code. My objective right now is to get something similar to the IO Monad (in...
New
sona11
I’m having a difficulty. I want to modify an attribute’s data type from String to Array. { “id”: “trn:tarb:tradingpartner:uuid:00000...
New
harwind
I’m presently working on a backend development project to build a RESTful API using Python and Flask. The Scaler backend developer site h...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
AstonJ
We’ve talked about his book briefly here but it is quickly becoming obsolete - so he’s decided to create a series of 7 podcasts, the firs...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Get the comprehensive, insider information you need for Rails 8 with the new edition of this award-winning classic. Sam Ruby @rubys ...
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
As digital systems increasingly run the world, mastery of the recurring patterns of software development risk is the key to fast and effe...
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New