FelixFortis

FelixFortis

Designing Elixir Systems with OTP: Explain the Quiz application more fully up front before getting too granular

Preface

I’m finding this to be a wonderful book that has taught me a lot so far, and I do understand that the core purpose of the book is to communicate to the reader the main design patterns for OTP in Elixir, and not to hand-hold them through an example application tutorial.

Having said that, the irony of the following isn’t lost on me :slight_smile:

Problem

The app we are building is described in Start with the right data layer > Try it out > Break Nouns into Data Structures:

In our quiz project, we can have templates in various categories that create questions. For an example, a template for a simple addition problem may be <%= left %> + <%= right %> with [0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9] being valid values for left and right. This means a quiz might generate 3 + 2 or 0 + 0. As we ask questions, we track the user’s responses and we keep generating questions until our user masters the template. Once they get three in a row right, we’ll let them move on to the next category.

Which I found to be abrupt, too shallow and relatively impenetrable. Consequently, I’m finding the Build a Functional Core section quite hard to follow.

For example, where did these nouns spring from? There was no high level explanation allowing you to wonder what nouns you might come up with on your own, or how you might build the app based on your own experience thus far. There was no opportunity to engage with the content - it was just force fed to the reader.

And the app itself - Is it a CLI? A desktop or browser based app? Who is the user? How will they actually use it? Are they typing in arguments and clicking generate? How are these templates generated? Will the app be pre-loaded with templates or are the questions user generated? Is a ‘template’ a Phoenix-style EEx template or just domain language for this application? I’m floating around without any context here.

I feel like the section is focusing so hard on design patterns that it’s neglecting necessary context and the big picture of the application that we’re building. It leaves me copying out the code and filling out the module functions but not understanding why. Is it working? How should I know? If its not working, why not? If Elixir has made breaking changes, how can I tweak my code to get it working if I don’t understand, at a high level, what that code is trying to do?

Suggestion

The reader needs a place to go back to from time to time where a detailed, high level explanation is provided, so they can zoom out from the nitty-gritty and reacquaint themselves with what this all means for the user and for the application as a whole.

Please flesh out the initial explanation of the app in writing. A wire-frame or user flow diagram could be included. Intermittent IEX sessions could be included between code examples to keep us grounded in what we are trying to build (okay, now we’ve written these functions, let’s go into IEX and see what a user can do, and also see both the app and our design pattern in action).

TL;DR

Following along with Build a Functional Core reminds me of unit testing without integration testing but for my brain. Some integration explanation as well as unit explanation please!

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

New
JohnS
I can’t setup the Rails source code. This happens in a working directory containing multiple (postgres) Rails apps. With: ruby-3.0.0 s...
New
cro
I am working on the “Your Turn” for chapter one and building out the restart button talked about on page 27. It recommends looking into ...
New
New
jskubick
I think I might have found a problem involving SwitchCompat, thumbTint, and trackTint. As entered, the SwitchCompat changes color to hol...
New
jskubick
I’m under the impression that when the reader gets to page 136 (“View Data with the Database Inspector”), the code SHOULD be able to buil...
New
brunogirin
When running tox for the first time, I got the following error: ERROR: InterpreterNotFound: python3.10 I realised that I was running ...
New
New
kolossal
Hi, I need some help, I’m new to rust and was learning through your book. but I got stuck at the last stage of distribution. Whenever I t...
New
SlowburnAZ
Getting an error when installing the dependencies at the start of this chapter: could not compile dependency :exla, "mix compile" failed...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
AstonJ
If it’s a mechanical keyboard, which switches do you have? Would you recommend it? Why? What will your next keyboard be? Pics always w...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Woke up to this today: Claude Code’s complete source code exposed via npm source map. Not a snippet. All 512,000 lines. 1,900 TypeScript ...
New

Sub Categories: