arcanemachine

arcanemachine

Chapter 7: "There’s no code for you to write in this chapter" (page 168)

When starting Chapter 7 (All About Testing), there is an aside that says:

There’s no code for you to write in this chapter — Tunez comes with a full set of tests pre-prepared, but they’re all skipped and commented out…

Knowing this, I proceed to the first test:

test "when there is no data, nothing is returned" do

However, there is no matching code block in my Tunez repo with this text in it.

So I do need to write some code in this chapter?

I had assumed the code would be commented out, but in the repo.

Thanks

Most Liked

sevenseacat

sevenseacat

Author of Ash Framework

Right, I see how that’s confusing! Some of the tests in the book, such as that initial one, are meant as demonstrations of tests - you can write them, and they will pass, but we haven’t included them in the app. This chapter is more illustrative, meant to show possibilities that you can apply when you need them.

As we state later on (perhaps way too late) - realistically, we wouldn’t write all of the tests that we demonstrate, because Tunez isn’t complex enough to need them. The generator we write is “real”, as are the interface tests and some of the policy tests, but in reality most of our “real” tests cover action calls, the search UI, and policies, and aren’t super interesting! Once you’ve seen one, you’ve got an idea of how the rest work.

I’ll have a think how this can be improved for the next beta. I think the approach in the Tunez app is correct (don’t fill it full of tests for the sake of tests) but the description in the book needs to be clearer…

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jeffmcompsci
Title: Design and Build Great Web APIs - typo “https://company-atk.herokuapp.com/2258ie4t68jv” (page 19, third bullet in URL list) Typo:...
New
yulkin
your book suggests to use Image.toByteData() to convert image to bytes, however I get the following error: "the getter ‘toByteData’ isn’t...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-On Rust (Chap 8 (Adding a Heads Up Display) It looks like ​.with_simple_console_no_bg​(SCREEN_WIDTH*2, SCREEN_HEIGHT*2...
New
lirux
Hi Jamis, I think there’s an issue with a test on chapter 6. I own the ebook, version P1.0 Feb. 2019. This test doesn’t pass for me: ...
New
Chrichton
Dear Sophie. I tried to do the “Authorization” exercise and have two questions: When trying to plug in an email-service, I found the ...
New
adamwoolhether
I’m not quite sure what’s going on here, but I’m unable to have to containers successfully complete the Readiness/Liveness checks. I’m im...
New
jskubick
I found an issue in Chapter 7 regarding android:backgroundTint vs app:backgroundTint. How to replicate: load chapter-7 from zipfile i...
New
New
s2k
Hi all, currently I wonder how the Tailwind colours work (or don’t work). For example, in app/views/layouts/application.html.erb I have...
New
davetron5000
Hello faithful readers! If you have tried to follow along in the book, you are asked to start up the dev environment via dx/build and ar...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
Exadra37
I am thinking in building or buy a desktop computer for programing, both professionally and on my free time, and my choice of OS is Linux...
New
Exadra37
Please tell us what is your preferred monitor setup for programming(not gaming) and why you have chosen it. Does your monitor have eye p...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn different ways of writing concurrent code in Elixir and increase your application's performance, without sacrificing scalability or...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New

Latest in Ash Framework

Sub Categories: