lmendelowski

lmendelowski

Ash Framework: A brief detour into LiveView process shenanigans (page 236)

Hello!
I’m neither an Elixir nor Phoenix or Ash expert, but I believe I found misinformation in the A brief detour into LiveView process shenanigans section in the book. The paragraph describes the authentication process for the LiveView process with Ash.Authentication as follows:

The page liveviews, such as TunezWeb.Artists.ShowLive, get the current user via an on_mount callback set up in your app’s router with ash_authentication_live_session. This callback will read the authentication token stored in the session, load the correct user record, and store it in socket.assigns.

I believe this information is not correct. According to ash_authentication_live_session docs:

Generate a live session wherein all subject assigns are copied from the conn into the socket.

Basically, this function copies all assigns from the conn object. The process of getting user_id from the session and loading it into conn.current_user happens in TunezWeb.Router via plug :load_from_session for the browser pipeline. This function comes from AshAuthentication.Plug.Helpers and is described in the documentation as:

Attempt to retrieve all actors from the connections’ session.

A wrapper around AshAuthentication.Plug.Helpers.retrieve_from_session/2 with the otp_app as extracted from the endpoint.

And if we look at mentioned AshAuthentication.Plug.Helpers.retrieve_from_session/2 function:

Attempt to retrieve all users from the connections’ session.

Iterates through all configured authentication resources for otp_app and retrieves any users stored in the session, loads them and stores them in the assigns under their subject name (with the prefix current_).

If there is no user present for a resource then the assign is set to nil.

PS. Thank you for the book. It’s an excellent resource on Ash Framework!

Most Liked

jamesharton

jamesharton

Hi :waving_hand:

As both a technical reviewer for the book and the author of Ash Authentication this section didn’t jump out at me as wrong - mainly, I suspect, because the memory of all the hoops LiveView forces us to jump through have been suppressed as a self-protection measure.

That said, let’s look at the code:

    # From lib/ash_authentication_phoenix/live_session.ex
    otp_app
    |> AshAuthentication.authenticated_resources()
    |> Stream.map(&{to_string(Info.authentication_subject_name!(&1)), &1})
    |> Enum.reduce(acc, fn {subject_name, resource}, session ->
      case Map.fetch(
             conn.assigns,
             String.to_existing_atom("current_#{subject_name}")
           ) do
        {:ok, user} when is_struct(user, resource) ->
          session
          |> Map.put(subject_name, AshAuthentication.user_to_subject(user))
          |> Map.put("tenant", Ash.PlugHelpers.get_tenant(conn))
          |> Map.put("context", Ash.PlugHelpers.get_context(conn))

        _ ->
          session
          |> Map.put("tenant", Ash.PlugHelpers.get_tenant(conn))
          |> Map.put("context", Ash.PlugHelpers.get_context(conn))
      end
    end)

So you’re right that if there is a current_X assign in the conn then it should be copied into the live session. It also copies what we call the subject (eg user?id=1234) into the session along with the tenant and any extra context.

I think where the confusion comes from is when working with nested live views the session is passed in, but not any of the assigns. This required us to add AshAuthentication.Phoenix.assign_new_resources/2 which can have the side-effect of loading the assigned users from the database if require_token_presence_for_authentication? is set to true.

I guess my answer is “:person_shrugging: you’re both right”

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

edruder
I thought that there might be interest in using the book with Rails 6.1 and Ruby 2.7.2. I’ll note what I needed to do differently here. ...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-on Rust: question about get_component (page 295) (feel free to respond. “You dug you’re own hole… good luck”) I have somet...
New
raul
Hi Travis! Thank you for the cool book! :slight_smile: I made a list of issues and thought I could post them chapter by chapter. I’m rev...
New
AleksandrKudashkin
On the page xv there is an instruction to run bin/setup from the main folder. I downloaded the source code today (12/03/21) and can’t see...
New
cro
I am working on the “Your Turn” for chapter one and building out the restart button talked about on page 27. It recommends looking into ...
New
gilesdotcodes
In case this helps anyone, I’ve had issues setting up the rails source code. Here were the solutions: In Gemfile, change gem 'rails' t...
New
Chrichton
Dear Sophie. I tried to do the “Authorization” exercise and have two questions: When trying to plug in an email-service, I found the ...
New
leonW
I ran this command after installing the sample application: $ cards add do something --owner Brian And got a file not found error: Fil...
New
AufHe
I’m a newbie to Rails 7 and have hit an issue with the bin/Dev script mentioned on pages 112-113. Iteration A1 - Seeing the list of prod...
New
SlowburnAZ
Getting an error when installing the dependencies at the start of this chapter: could not compile dependency :exla, "mix compile" failed...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
If it’s a mechanical keyboard, which switches do you have? Would you recommend it? Why? What will your next keyboard be? Pics always w...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New

Latest in Ash Framework

Sub Categories: