DevotionGeo

DevotionGeo

Would you choose one language over another language for something as minor as the presence or absence of semicolon?

I hate having mandatory semicolons in a language, no matter how beautiful the language is otherwise. What about you?

Most Liked

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

What’s the big deal? I prefer that to Python’s significant whitespace.

Hallski

Hallski

Definitely prefer not to have them but wouldn’t base my choice in it. Also joining the choir of choosing it over significant white space.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I mean sure, not the best ergonomics but in Rust in particular the lack of a semicolon means that you want to return this expression to the caller which, albeit easy to miss for a human, is enforced by a very strict compiler that will tell you very clearly what you did wrong. So really, not such a problem as many in the past made it to be.

There are languages with not very clear error messages however and there the semicolons – and their misplacement – can be a real productivity killer.

To that I say: don’t use these languages! :wink:

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
The obligatory speed test thread :smiley: Check here: https://www.speedtest.net When complete, click on the share link and copy and pas...
New
chasekaylee
I’ve been using the classic notebook to-do list, but I’m curious to hear what awesome tools are out there that I am not aware of. I’m alw...
New
AstonJ
Always interested in seeing what apps people use and how they organise their phones/home screens! Here’s mine…
New
AstonJ
Inspired by this post from @Carter, which languages, frameworks or other tech or tools do you think is killing it right now? :upside_down...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
ohm
I just switched jobs to tech lead with a small team of about 6 other developer. This is my first tech lead job. What do I need to know? A...
New
TwistingTwists
Hello Fellow developers, I have been trying to wrap my head around How difficult would it have been to be a dev 20-30 years ago? I have...
New
New
harwind
I’m working on a C++ program where I need to convert a string containing a numeric value into an integer. I want to ensure that this conv...
New
AstonJ
Curious whether you remap your Caps Lock. Do you remap your Caps Lock key? poll I have no idea what Globe is btw, just seen it in the ma...
New

Other popular topics Top

DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
New
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Get the comprehensive, insider information you need for Rails 8 with the new edition of this award-winning classic. Sam Ruby @rubys ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application. Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Quickly turn complex problems into simple, working solutions using functional programming, safe concurrency, and the expressive tools of ...
New