AstonJ

AstonJ

What are the USPs of each operating system?

I thought about posting this thread while dragging a window around macOS funnily enough. It seems that it makes intelligent guesses on whether you are trying to place windows near each other and ‘snaps’ them into place if it thinks you are - it’s ever so subtle - so subtle that it’s barely noticeable, making it feel very natural (thus, perhaps more importantly, also making it void of any frustration which might be the case were it was poorly implemented).

So that got me thinking - what is it about each OS that makes it unique, or, in your view, what makes it worth using over the others?

Most Liked

NobbZ

NobbZ

In nixOS my USPs are its reproducability and its “integrated toolchain manager”.

  1. Backing up and restoring /etc/nixos is enough to re-install all system relevant software, while backing up and restoring ~/.config/nixpkgs is enough to install user related programs and their configuration.
  2. In each project I can have a shell.nix or a default.nix which describes the development environment. Usually one loads this environment manually, though tools around that have been developed which make me able to enter the environment on dir change. as well as aggressive caching of those environments.
dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Would you recommend nixOS for development? I will have to make a decision in the next 2-4 weeks about a Linux development environment and I kind of forgot about nixOS.


For macOS my USPs are definitely the [alleged] high security of the system. Apple has gone out of their way – and often broke a lot of programs and scripts which isn’t nice of them – to make sure some plain virus, ransomware or rootkit won’t have an easy time taking over your machine. I do however have to say that the performance of programs under macOS has been mediocre. Linux reigns absolutely supreme here and stomps macOS like there’s no contest. Still, I like macOS’ beauty and opinionated approach in general and I feel that it’s suitable for a lot of people. But I do start to question if it’s a good fit for professionals at all…


For Linux my USPs are, obviously, extreme customisability (although that’s not always a good thing; I am more in the camp of people that want a good minimal working system out of the box and not an installer with 50 steps and checkboxes) and the raw speed. But Linux seems to have long way to go in terms of isolation (to this day, any X11 program can read and record keystrokes, and Wayland is sadly not that useable for everyday usage, I hear).


For Windows 10: ubiquity. A lot of Linux fans love to trash it but its backwards compatibility and stability (ever since Win7 which is a lot of years already) should give them pause and hopefully make them strive for a better ecosystem. I know it’s not Linux’s fault for many OEMs who never make drivers for it – or that games must use emulation / pass-through layers – but if Linux wants wider adoption it will have to climb 3 mountains, not 1.

Especially with WSL2, Win10 is now a very solid contender for a workstation + gaming OS and I imagine a lot of people might forgo their macOS laptops for work and just move to their Win10 PC for that.

NobbZ

NobbZ

I wouldn’t consider it if I had to learn it from scratch. Though using a random Linux or Mac with nix as auxiliary package manager for the shells, with regular installed toolchains as escape hatches is what I’ve done first to learn how to deal with nix peculiarities.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
AstonJ
If you’re a fan, why? If you’re not fussed on it, how comes?
New
AstonJ
Want to plug where you work? Here’s your chance! Perhaps you could also mention what kind of stuff you’re working on? :nerd_face:
New
AstonJ
Do you think it’s worth worrying about? Do you think it’s going to be an even bigger issue in future? If so what can the teams of smaller...
New
New
jss
What do people think about Data-Oriented Programming, like this book tackles? https://www.manning.com/books/data-oriented-programming Ho...
New
AstonJ
Hi everyone… I’m so sorry about the delay in getting this thread up, I’ve just been so busy :see_no_evil: Are there any book clubs you’d...
New
ohm
I just switched jobs to tech lead with a small team of about 6 other developer. This is my first tech lead job. What do I need to know? A...
New
jaeyson
Hi all, does anybody tried Shankar Devy’s Phoenix Inside Out book series? Also, will there be a big difference (aside from context prior...
New
jaeyson
Hi!, hope everyone’s ok. Sorry if this question is ambiguous (i’ll remove this if i break some rules here). This is more like a self-ques...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
Exadra37
I am thinking in building or buy a desktop computer for programing, both professionally and on my free time, and my choice of OS is Linux...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Get the comprehensive, insider information you need for Rails 8 with the new edition of this award-winning classic. Sam Ruby @rubys ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Lint your docs like code: turn any style guide into enforceable rules with Vale and publish clear, consistent content every time. ...
New