bmads_51

bmads_51

Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition: guestbook.auth functions not invocable (P. 168)

Dmitri Sotnikov @dmitri and Scot Brown @svmbrown

I was trying to execute the following code on p. 168:

user> (in-ns 'guestbook.auth)
#namespace[guestbook.auth]
guestbook.auth> (create-user! “testuser” “testpass”)
1
guestbook.auth> (authenticate-user “testuser” “testpass”)
{:login “testuser”, :created_at #inst “2019-09-20T02:22:53.217-00:00”}
guestbook.auth> (authenticate-user “testuser” “wrongpass”)

but the functions in the guestbook.auth namespace were simply unavailable after I switched to that namespace. I was getting No such var error messages.

After a lot of searching, I stumbled upon this from https://clojure.org/guides/repl/navigating_namespaces

How to make sure a lib is loaded

To make sure that a lib with namespace mylib.ns1 has been loaded in the REPL, you can do any one of the following:

  1. require it directly: (require '[mylib.ns1])
  2. load a namespace which itself requires mylib.ns1 (directly or indirectly).
  3. evaluate manually all the code in the source file mylib.ns1

So I believe this section in the book was too premature. I actually went on to type in the login route code further down on pp. 168-9. Since that login route code loads (a la #2 above) the guestbook.auth namespace, once you jack-in or lein repl you will be able to execute the functions in the guestbook.auth namespace. So I think if the code blocks are reversed, that would help solve this issue.

First Post!

Dmitri

Dmitri

Author of Web Development with Clojure

Yeah, using require would force the namespace to load. Simply doing in-ns will switch to the namespace, but won’t trigger for the functions there to be evaluated. I think you’re right that loading the namespace would be the way to go here to avoid the behavior.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jimmykiang
This test is broken right out of the box… — FAIL: TestAgent (7.82s) agent_test.go:77: Error Trace: agent_test.go:77 agent_test.go:...
New
brianokken
Many tasks_proj/tests directories exist in chapters 2, 3, 5 that have tests that use the custom markers smoke and get, which are not decl...
New
yulkin
your book suggests to use Image.toByteData() to convert image to bytes, however I get the following error: "the getter ‘toByteData’ isn’t...
New
simonpeter
When I try the command to create a pair of migration files I get an error. user=> (create-migration "guestbook") Execution error (Ill...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-On Rust (Chap 8 (Adding a Heads Up Display) It looks like ​.with_simple_console_no_bg​(SCREEN_WIDTH*2, SCREEN_HEIGHT*2...
New
joepstender
The generated iex result below should list products instead of product for the metadata. (page 67) iex> product = %Product{} %Pento....
New
New
brunogirin
When I run the coverage example to report on missing lines, I get: pytest --cov=cards --report=term-missing ch7 ERROR: usage: pytest [op...
New
taguniversalmachine
It seems the second code snippet is missing the code to set the current_user: current_user: Accounts.get_user_by_session_token(session["...
New
roadbike
From page 13: On Python 3.7, you can install the libraries with pip by running these commands inside a Python venv using Visual Studio ...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New

Sub Categories: