jaeyson

jaeyson

Do we have "ELI5" for Elixir here?

Not trying to add more mess here but, reddit has ELI5 but i wanted to know if it’s okay to ask Elixir-specific (or outside of it) in a similar style of questions? i.e. I’ve heard backpressure (i’ve just read that term via Elixir-lang blog Announcing GenStage) and how/why does one (ie. Elixir) approach this? I’ve read it but i cant wrap it in my head (newbie).

Most Liked

mafinar

mafinar

Now, to answer your question on back-pressure. Let me draw an analogy from an experience I actually had during our covid 19 vaccination.

So my wife and I went to get vaccinated at a centre. We parked the car and saw a queue being formed right outside, of people waiting to get vaccinated. That queue reached from the parking place up to this tent-like structure.

Some volunteers came, and asked for proof of location, health card information etc and input those information into their iPads. And while that was happening, another volunteer at the front of our queue (and as we will find out soon, at the back of another) asked for 10 people to get in. When our turn came, we went inside and faced a similar, “controlled” and on-demand queueing system, we get called in groups, we enter in groups, and get serviced, and exit the premise. While this felt like a lot of rules to be implemented, it did end up feeling “effective”. The doctors who were giving vaccines did not have a crowded hall, and that hall had low number of people, manageable and quickly emptiable. On the other hand, you never really waited too long at any of those buffers.

Now, think about the nature of this group act, from the “provider’s” (i.e. volunteers’ or doctors’) perspective, they are obviously fewer in numbers than us, and they can only take so many at a time, by giving them the calling capability, the capacity is being managed. The traffic (i.e. we who are waiting to get vaccinated) are parked and get serviced only when the persons responsible to process are capable of doing so, and it is not something we see (i.e. when the person before me finishes I can “just go”) but that process is hidden from us. and we get called in batches, and that batch number often has a connection with the provider numbers (if there are 4 doctors maybe a batch of 2*4 or 3*4?).

This description is based on my experience and may not have any resemblance at all with the actual process or statistics behind it but let’s convert this whole “pipeline” into a programming one. You have a steady stream of data, and there are dedicated functions (let’s stick to functions now, simpler ones, and let’s not get to multithreading), that transform them, and output of one function is the input of others, until you get the satisfactory computation.

If these functions have limited processing power, and data just keeps coming in, why not have the data parked, and only process a handful at a time? So, welcome the data, but take only what your capable of. This phenomenon, this artificial buffer of data waiting to be processed- is back-pressure. If you think of it as a FIFO (First In First Out) queue, and the entrance is considered as “back”, then the pressure built up from incoming requests, would be back-pressure.

I am not so good with ELI5s and this was an attempt. Apologies if I failed at it.

mafinar

mafinar

Hello and welcome to DevTalk. I am not a moderator here but as someone who’s been active since this forum began, asking questions or opening posts is not considered a mess here but are welcome. And this is a place I interacted with some of the friendliest programmers I have met. So you are welcome to ask questions. Although ElixirForum is equally friendly.

AstonJ

AstonJ

This is a great idea @jaeyson!

We were going to start a ‘Glossary’ section on the Elixir Forum where a thread would be posted about something, and then people could explain it in their own words. If you’re a member you can see the thread here: https://elixirforum.com/t/do-you-think-we-need-a-glossary-section/12988

I think we could do such a version here (general dev), then another on the new Erlang Forums for BEAM related stuff - what does everyone think?

Great post btw Mafinar!

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
If you had the ear of a language creator, what would you say - what could they do to make a language that you would use? :upside_down_face:
New
jaywengrow
Hello! It’s Jay Wengrow, author of A Common-Sense Guide to Data Structures and Algorithms. My book now has a supplemental website, where ...
New
DevotionGeo
As the title suggests, this thread will contain some real wisdom came from experience. Please add something meaningful than fancy looking...
New
AstonJ
The dev world doesn’t sit still, in fact it is probably one of the fastest paced industries around - meaning to stay current we are conti...
New
DevotionGeo
The Odin programming language is designed with the intent of creating an alternative to C with the following goals: simplicity high per...
New
jamiedumont
This is all going to be a bit hand-wavey and straight off the top of my head, so bear with me, but it’s a thought/debate that’s been ratt...
New
Exadra37
Kubernetes is everywhere. Transactional apps, video streaming services and machine learning workloads are finding a home on this ever-gro...
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
OvermindDL1
Maybe we need a thread of hosting providers we like and for what reasons. I personally like OVH, they are a very low level host (they re...
New
AstonJ
Curious whether you remap your Caps Lock. Do you remap your Caps Lock key? poll I have no idea what Globe is btw, just seen it in the ma...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
AstonJ
We’ve talked about his book briefly here but it is quickly becoming obsolete - so he’s decided to create a series of 7 podcasts, the firs...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New