CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Rust on the Frontend and Backend

Backend languages in the browser have been a thing for a long time. Google Web Toolkit would compile Java applications into JavaScript, and I believe (though I may be misremembering this1) that .NET had a feature where you could essentially code as if you were writing a form application in C# and it would compile to a web form and wire up JavaScript, HTML and CSS so you never had to learn anything about web technologies.

Things changed in a couple ways when Mozilla created asm.js (leading later to WebAssembly). Along with Emscripten, you could now compile C and C++ into a subset of JavaScript that executed very efficiently and provided the kind of linear memory model that C backends expect. Generated JavaScript can have pretty bad performance characteristics, so being able to take advantage of decades of research in optimizing compilers for C and C++ in the browser was a big step forward.

Rust uses LLVM, which Emscripten compiles into WebAssembly, so pretty early after the creation of WebAssembly, people were porting Rust to work in the browser. And very shortly after that, there were Rust frontend frameworks…

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Where Next?

Popular Frontend topics Top

First poster: bot
Stork Turns One: Building a search tool for static sites with Rust and WebAssembly • jameslittle.me. Stork, my web search side project, ...
New
First poster: dimitarvp
The future of web-based software architectures is already taking form, and this time it’s server-rendered (again). Papa’s got a brand new...
New
First poster: bot
This guide is intended to cover everything you need to know about creating, manipulating and comparing strings in JavaScript. Extra tips...
New
First poster: bot
Backend languages in the browser have been a thing for a long time. Google Web Toolkit would compile Java applications into JavaScript, a...
New
XSukhpreet
Mine is Firebase because it is easy to learn and fast .
New
AstonJ
I love videos like this and it follows the same theme as @jaeyson’s thread here - I reckon the @ElixirCasts crew should consider experime...
New
First poster: bot
Hey there, you probably tried to animate some HTML elements in your time using transitions, transforms, and animations in the CSS. I trie...
New
brainlid
On your LiveView page, you are using a custom component. You want to be able to pass HTML attributes into the component, but the componen...
New
ragamuf
I wrote a handy little Mix task to automatically register your Stimulus javascript controllers when using esBuild with Phoenix. It is sim...
New
rushilbhuptani
Introduction Dark mode is one of the most popular UI options in the current applications. It will offer less eyewear, enhanced battery li...
#ui
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
Or looking forward to? :nerd_face:
503 15149 280
New
Exadra37
I am thinking in building or buy a desktop computer for programing, both professionally and on my free time, and my choice of OS is Linux...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background Lately I am in a quest to find a good quality TTS ai generation tool to run locally in order to create audio for some videos I...
New