CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Tail-call optimization in Elm

What is TCO?

Tail-call optimization (TCO) is a very neat trick that the Elm compiler does to make recursive functions a lot more performant and stackoverflow-proof.

Evan Czaplicki describes it very well in this article and I recommend you go read it. He calls it tail-call elimination but it’s a different name for the same thing.

To summarize Evan’s article, a “tail-call optimized” function is a recursive function that gets compiled to using a loop instead of function calls to itself. Let’s take the following code as an example…

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Most Liked

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

That’s not TCO that Elm does, it’s self-call tail recursive optimization, it only can happen in fully known contexts and is not general enough to be full TCO. Full Tail Call Optimization is where a call is in the tail-most position of a function, that means you can then compile essentially a goto to it (or in the Rust proposal a become for example), this means the call can be dynamically made, can be any amount deep through any amount of function stacks, etc… etc… I really don’t like how the Elm community keeps trying to misrepresent things about the Elm language, it’s an annoying recurring pattern…

In fact, let’s try it, I go to: Try Elm!
And I try running:

import Html exposing (text)

entry f i acc = if i <= 0 then acc else f (i - 1) (acc + i)

dispatch1 i acc = entry dispatch2 i acc

dispatch2 i acc = entry dispatch1 i acc

main =
  let i = dispatch1 10000 0 in
  text (String.fromInt i)

And the result is:

Initialization Error

InternalError: too much recursion

Well, let’s try this in Elixir, a language that DOES support TCO, so the same code ported running through the repl:

❯ iex
Erlang/OTP 24 [RELEASE CANDIDATE 3] [erts-12.0] [source] [64-bit] [smp:16:16] [ds:16:16:10] [async-threads:1] [jit]

Interactive Elixir (1.12.0-rc.1) - press Ctrl+C to exit (type h() ENTER for help)
iex(1)> defmodule TestingTCO do
...(1)>   def entry(f, i, acc), do: if(i <= 0, do: acc, else: f.(i-1, acc+i))
...(1)>   
...(1)>   def dispatch1(i, acc), do: entry(&dispatch2/2, i, acc)
...(1)>   
...(1)>   def dispatch2(i, acc), do: entry(&dispatch1/2, i, acc)
...(1)> end
{:module, TestingTCO,
 <<70, 79, 82, 49, 0, 0, 7, 176, 66, 69, 65, 77, 65, 116, 85, 56, 0, 0, 0, 202,
   0, 0, 0, 20, 17, 69, 108, 105, 120, 105, 114, 46, 84, 101, 115, 116, 105,
   110, 103, 84, 67, 79, 8, 95, 95, 105, 110, ...>>, {:dispatch2, 2}}
iex(2)> TestingTCO.dispatch1(10000, 0)
50005000

And since Elixir really does implement TCO and not just a simple recursive loop optimization unlike elm’s communities repeating lies then we can go way way higher!

iex(3)> TestingTCO.dispatch1(1000000, 0)
500000500000

Elm has a lot of issues both as a language and as a community, and passing off a very very common optimization pass performed in almost every language as TCO is just the tip of the iceberg…

AstonJ

AstonJ

Even if it’s not true TCO, performance enhancements are always welcome when it comes to JS land :nerd_face:

rustkas

rustkas

I have already read a lot about the disadvantages of Elm. In your opinion, what is currently better than Elm (in terms of the quality of code generation, what to choose for creating a new application) for the front end part?

Where Next?

Popular Frontend topics Top

New
First poster: AstonJ
Welcome to the 5th edition of the JavaScript Rising Stars, our annual round-up of the JavaScript landscape! The concept is the same as b...
/js
New
First poster: bot
The No-Framework Framework: JavaScript Without React Part I. How I improved my programming speed by replacing React with plain JavaScrip...
New
First poster: bot
JavaScript allows calling a function with a different number of arguments than the expected number of parameters, i.e., one can pass fewe...
/js
New
First poster: bot
In this article, I will discuss my journey from being an anti-TypeScript developer to a developer who now couldn’t think of going back to...
New
First poster: bot
The Tower of Hanoi is a classic mathematical puzzle that is often used as an introduction to recursion. We can express a solution to this...
New
First poster: bot
Implementing an app redesign is never routine nor easy. Two weeks after I was hired at Polytomic, I began implementing the app’s first re...
New
brainlid
On your LiveView page, you are using a custom component. You want to be able to pass HTML attributes into the component, but the componen...
New
First poster: OvermindDL1
I have to admit: as I’ve watched Tailwind enthusiastically adopted by more and more of the frontend community, I’ve remained skeptical. B...
New
ragamuf
I wrote a handy little Mix task to automatically register your Stimulus javascript controllers when using esBuild with Phoenix. It is sim...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build highly interactive applications without ever leaving Elixir, the way the experts do. Let LiveView take care of performance, scalabi...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File &gt; New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New