jhaungs

jhaungs

Regular Expressions Machinery: Confusing/inconsistent diagram and text (pages 10, 11)

In the diagram, the transition images across the top and down the right are: heads then heads, but the text says “accept state … if we first get a tails, then another tails.”

Also, the use of two images in each Coin in the alphabet is confusing, as a coin has only one face at a time.

Most Liked

jhaungs

jhaungs

Hi Staffan,

Happy to spot things like this. Your book is excellent; I’m really enjoying it.

I had another one, more a refinement than an error. I’ve been a programmer for 50+ years, so I was around when ASCII was invented. Your description of the “pillow” character on page 34 (of the PDF) is not precise. ASCII is generally considered to be 0-127. The “upper” ASCII plane (where the pillow is at 164) is considered “Extended ASCII” as it requires an 8th bit. There were many names for this extended plane over the years, but to call it unqualified ASCII is imprecise and confused me at first. I’m sensitive to confusion, because if it confuses me, it’ll confuse others. A better way to describe it would be as Extended ASCII, or even better, as Unicode, where it was introduced in 1993.

But honestly, as writers and editors like to say, “kill your darlings.” You could throw this side note away; it has only minor historical curiosity as the currency idea experienced only sporadic adoption, but more importantly, the side note adds nothing to the discussion of the pillow designating the empty set.

Jim

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jimschubert
In Chapter 3, the source for index introduces Config on page 31, followed by more code including tests; Config isn’t introduced until pag...
New
jeffmcompsci
Title: Design and Build Great Web APIs - typo “https://company-atk.herokuapp.com/2258ie4t68jv” (page 19, third bullet in URL list) Typo:...
New
edruder
I thought that there might be interest in using the book with Rails 6.1 and Ruby 2.7.2. I’ll note what I needed to do differently here. ...
New
lirux
Hi Jamis, I think there’s an issue with a test on chapter 6. I own the ebook, version P1.0 Feb. 2019. This test doesn’t pass for me: ...
New
Mmm
Hi, build fails on: bracket-lib = “~0.8.1” when running on Mac Mini M1 Rust version 1.5.0: Compiling winit v0.22.2 error[E0308]: mi...
New
AndyDavis3416
@noelrappin Running the webpack dev server, I receive the following warning: ERROR in tsconfig.json TS18003: No inputs were found in c...
New
jgchristopher
“The ProductLive.Index template calls a helper function, live_component/3, that in turn calls on the modal component. ” Excerpt From: Br...
New
Charles
In general, the book isn’t yet updated for Phoenix version 1.6. On page 18 of the book, the authors indicate that an auto generated of ro...
New
bjnord
Hello @herbert ! Trying to get the very first “Hello, Bracket Terminal!" example to run (p. 53). I develop on an Amazon EC2 instance runn...
New
gorkaio
root_layout: {PentoWeb.LayoutView, :root}, This results in the following following error: no “root” html template defined for PentoWeb...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New

Sub Categories: