NiklasH

NiklasH

Quantum Computing: Bra and ket (p. 187)

On page 187 in section “Can the Quantum Gate Matrix Be Anything?”, psi-dagger is defined as <psi^dagger| = (w0* w1*).

As per my understanding, the conjugate transpose of a bra is actually the ket, meaning <psi^dagger| = |psi> with |psi> being a column vector with entries w0 and w1 (not w0* and w1*). Am I missing something here?

(Also quoting Wikipedia here, section “Bras and kets as row and column vectors” in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bra–ket_notation: “The conjugate transpose (also called Hermitian conjugate) of a bra is the corresponding ket and vice versa”)

Thank you very much for any clarification on this topic!

First Post!

nihal.mehta

nihal.mehta

Author of Quantum Computing

You are right that the bra and kets are conjugate transpose (or Hermitian conjugates) of each other. So, if |psi> is a column vector whose elements are w0 and w1, then <psi^dagger| is the row vector whose elements are w0* and w1* as shown on the bottom of page 187. That is, |psi>^dagger = <psi^dagger|.
The math notation can sometimes seem confusing. So, it’s best to understand the intent of what’s going on and then the notation will follow. Also, using actual numbers instead
of letters may help to clarify.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jimschubert
In Chapter 3, the source for index introduces Config on page 31, followed by more code including tests; Config isn’t introduced until pag...
New
johnp
Running the examples in chapter 5 c under pytest 5.4.1 causes an AttributeError: ‘module’ object has no attribute ‘config’. In particula...
New
gilesdotcodes
In case this helps anyone, I’ve had issues setting up the rails source code. Here were the solutions: In Gemfile, change gem 'rails' t...
New
brian-m-ops
#book-python-testing-with-pytest-second-edition Hi. Thanks for writing the book. I am just learning so this might just of been an issue ...
New
patoncrispy
I’m new to Rust and am using this book to learn more as well as to feed my interest in game dev. I’ve just finished the flappy dragon exa...
New
jgchristopher
“The ProductLive.Index template calls a helper function, live_component/3, that in turn calls on the modal component. ” Excerpt From: Br...
New
Charles
In general, the book isn’t yet updated for Phoenix version 1.6. On page 18 of the book, the authors indicate that an auto generated of ro...
New
brunogirin
When installing Cards as an editable package, I get the following error: ERROR: File “setup.py” not found. Directory cannot be installe...
New
New
mert
AWDWR 7, page 152, page 153: Hello everyone, I’m a little bit lost on the hotwire part. I didn’t fully understand it. On page 152 @rub...
New

Other popular topics Top

brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
Rainer
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
AstonJ
poll poll Be sure to check out @Dusty’s article posted here: An Introduction to Alternative Keyboard Layouts It’s one of the best write-...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application. Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New

Sub Categories: