Rope-a-dope

Rope-a-dope

Programming Elixir 1.6: Exercise Solutions: Strings and Binaries-7

@pragdave

I think all the annoymous functions in the exercise solutions miss the “&” because we will get error: capture argument &1 must be used within the capture operator &.
The solution will have error:

Function read/1 has no local return.The function call will not succeed.

IO.stream(_file :: pid())

will never return since the 1st arguments differ
from the success typing arguments:

(:line | pos_integer())
def read(filename) do
file = File.open!(filename)
headers = read_headers(IO.read(file, :line))
Enum.map(IO.stream(file), &create_one_row(headers, &1))
end

Changing to this will be good. And it should be ~r for the regular expression.

defmodule SimpleCSV do
  def read(filename) do
    file = filename |> File.open!()
    headers = file |> IO.read(:line) |> read_headers()

    result =
      file
      |> IO.stream(:line)
      |> Enum.map(&create_one_row(headers, &1))

    File.close(file)
    result
  end

  defp read_headers(hdr_line) do
    from_csv_and_map(hdr_line, &String.to_atom(&1))
  end

  defp create_one_row(headers, row_csv) do
    row = from_csv_and_map(row_csv, &maybe_convert_numbers(&1))
    Enum.zip(headers, row)
  end

  defp from_csv_and_map(row_csv, mapper) do
    row_csv
    |> String.trim()
    |> String.split(~r{,\s*})
    |> Enum.map(mapper)
  end

  defp maybe_convert_numbers(value) do
    cond do
      Regex.match?(~r{^\d+$}, value) -> String.to_integer(value)
      Regex.match?(~r{^\d+\.\d+$}, value) -> String.to_float(value)
      <<?:::utf8, name::binary>> = value -> String.to_atom(name)
      true -> value
    end
  end
end

First Post!

pragdave

pragdave

Author and Publisher

Could you do me a favor: where are you seeing this code?

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

abtin
page 20: … protoc command… I had to additionally run the following go get commands in order to be able to compile protobuf code using go...
New
johnp
Running the examples in chapter 5 c under pytest 5.4.1 causes an AttributeError: ‘module’ object has no attribute ‘config’. In particula...
New
edruder
I thought that there might be interest in using the book with Rails 6.1 and Ruby 2.7.2. I’ll note what I needed to do differently here. ...
New
jskubick
I’m under the impression that when the reader gets to page 136 (“View Data with the Database Inspector”), the code SHOULD be able to buil...
New
digitalbias
Title: Build a Weather Station with Elixir and Nerves: Problem connecting to Postgres with Grafana on (page 64) If you follow the defau...
New
brunogirin
When running tox for the first time, I got the following error: ERROR: InterpreterNotFound: python3.10 I realised that I was running ...
New
taguniversalmachine
It seems the second code snippet is missing the code to set the current_user: current_user: Accounts.get_user_by_session_token(session["...
New
jonmac
The allprojects block listed on page 245 produces the following error when syncing gradle: “org.gradle.api.GradleScriptException: A prob...
New
Keton
When running the program in chapter 8, “Implementing Combat”, the printout Health before attack was never printed so I assumed something ...
New
dachristenson
I just bought this book to learn about Android development, and I’m already running into a major issue in Ch. 1, p. 20: “Update activity...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write Elixir tests that you can be proud of. Dive into Elixir’s test philosophy and gain mastery over the terminology and concepts that u...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New

Sub Categories: