kentaroi

kentaroi

Programming Elixir 1.6 - errata (page 227)

def puts(device \\ group_leader(), item) do
        erl_dev = map_dev(device)
        :io.put_chars erl_dev, [to_iodata(item), ?\n]
end

def puts(device \\ :stdio, item) do
        :io.put_chars(map_dev(device), [to_chardata(item), ?\n])
end


The implementation of IO.puts function in page 227 is outdated (elixir/lib/elixir/lib/io.ex at v1.6 · elixir-lang/elixir · GitHub).

The problem is the above code is the introduction of :erlang.group_leader function, which is used later in page 227, but the implementation of IO.puts in Elixir 1.4 and above does not use the :erlang.group_leader function (Use :stdio instead of group_leader() as default device by michalmuskala · Pull Request #5089 · elixir-lang/elixir · GitHub).

By the way,

  • :stdio - a shortcut for :standard_io, which maps to
    the current Process.group_leader/0 in Erlang

(IO — Elixir v1.16.0)

Therefore, although the default device of the IO.puts function has changed to :stdio, the erlang.group_leader() function is still called in Erlang’s io module and the behavior of the IO.puts function was not changed by Use :stdio instead of group_leader() as default device by michalmuskala · Pull Request #5089 · elixir-lang/elixir · GitHub.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

iPaul
page 37 ANTLRInputStream input = new ANTLRInputStream(is); as of ANTLR 4 .8 should be: CharStream stream = CharStreams.fromStream(i...
New
rmurray10127
Title: Intuitive Python: docker run… denied error (page 2) Attempted to run the docker command in both CLI and Powershell PS C:\Users\r...
New
adamwoolhether
When trying to generate the protobuf .go file, I receive this error: Unknown flag: --go_opt libprotoc 3.12.3 MacOS 11.3.1 Googling ...
New
adamwoolhether
I’m not quite sure what’s going on here, but I’m unable to have to containers successfully complete the Readiness/Liveness checks. I’m im...
New
hazardco
On page 78 the following code appears: <%= link_to ‘Destroy’, product, class: ‘hover:underline’, method: :delete, data: { confirm...
New
jonmac
The allprojects block listed on page 245 produces the following error when syncing gradle: “org.gradle.api.GradleScriptException: A prob...
New
andreheijstek
After running /bin/setup, the first error was: The foreman' command exists in these Ruby versions: That was easy to fix: gem install fore...
New
New
bjnord
Hello @herbert ! Trying to get the very first “Hello, Bracket Terminal!" example to run (p. 53). I develop on an Amazon EC2 instance runn...
New
dachristenson
I’ve got to the end of Ch. 11, and the app runs, with all tabs displaying what they should – at first. After switching around between St...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
AstonJ
If it’s a mechanical keyboard, which switches do you have? Would you recommend it? Why? What will your next keyboard be? Pics always w...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
AstonJ
We’ve talked about his book briefly here but it is quickly becoming obsolete - so he’s decided to create a series of 7 podcasts, the firs...
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New

Sub Categories: