veimis

veimis

Programming Elixir 1.6 - Distillery-The Elixir Release Manager chapter commands for Elixir 1.9/Distillery 2.1

I hope this will prove useful for other readers of the book.

I was working through chapter 20 OTP: Applications and run to issues with the example for creating a release using Distillery.

The command mix release --env=prod failed with an error like

** (Mix) Could not invoke task “release”: 1 error found!
–env : Unknown option

Since Elixir 1.9 brings releases directly into Elixir, the mix release -command previously used with distillery now overlaps with the Elixir release command.
Distillery version 2.1 works with Elixir 1.9 and updates the distillery release command to mix distillery.release.

I made the following changes to be able to locally follow the distillery release example in the book.

Elixir and OTP versions used:

$ elixir --version
Erlang/OTP 23 [erts-11.0.2] [source] [64-bit] [smp:4:4] [ds:4:4:10] [async-threads:1] [hipe]

Elixir 1.10.4 (compiled with Erlang/OTP 22)

I don’t have relevant pages as my kindle only shows “locations”, but I have included the section topics.

Section “Your First Release”

1 Change dependency to distillery 2.1 in mix.exs
:x: {:distillery, “~> 1.5”, runtime: false}
:white_check_mark: {:distillery, “~> 2.1”, runtime: false}

2 Use the updated command for initializing the release
:x: mix release.init
:white_check_mark: mix distillery.init

3 Create the first release (0.0.1)
:x: mix release --env=prod
:white_check_mark: MIX_ENV=prod mix distillery.release --env=prod

This first failed for me (after following the book example) with

Release failed: could not load /path/config/config.exs

I got around it by adding a minimal config.exs file
mkdir config && echo “import Config” > config/config.exs

Side note:
In the book the deploy commands are run with ssh.
I tried, instead, to run the deploy commands directly from the _build -directory and found out that consecutive releases don’t work properly that way.

“I only just noticed that the original issue confirms that this issue was occurring because of running from _build.”
Successive hot upgrade releases produce error · Issue #160 · bitwalker/distillery · GitHub

This might be documented on the distillery documentation, but I haven’t made it there yet.

Section “A Second Release”

4 Create the first upgrade release (0.2.0)
:x: mix release --env=prod --upgrade
:white_check_mark: MIX_ENV=prod mix distillery.release --env=prod --upgrade

5 Upgrade running code
This might be because I didn’t use ssh, but instead just copied the archives to separate directory,
but the command deploy/bin/sequence upgrade 0.2.0 failed with

Node user@host is not running!

To successfully run the upgrade I changed the following:
Update node name, -name argument, in rel/vm.args with the right node name. You can check the node name in the iex console with Node.self command.
Not sure if relevant, but I updated the set cookie option (environment :prod) in rel/config.exs with the value in ~/.erlang.cookie

Section “Migrating Server State”
6. Create the second release
:x: mix release --env=prod --upgrade
:white_check_mark: MIX_ENV=prod mix distillery.release --env=prod --upgrade

That did it for me :relaxed:

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

New
HarryDeveloper
Hi @venkats, It has been mentioned in the description of ‘Supervisory Job’ title that 2 things as mentioned below result in the same eff...
New
adamwoolhether
When trying to generate the protobuf .go file, I receive this error: Unknown flag: --go_opt libprotoc 3.12.3 MacOS 11.3.1 Googling ...
New
curtosis
Running mix deps.get in the sensor_hub directory fails with the following error: ** (Mix) No SSH public keys found in ~/.ssh. An ssh aut...
New
adamwoolhether
I’m not quite sure what’s going on here, but I’m unable to have to containers successfully complete the Readiness/Liveness checks. I’m im...
New
hgkjshegfskef
The test is as follows: Scenario: Intersecting a scaled sphere with a ray Given r ← ray(point(0, 0, -5), vector(0, 0, 1)) And s ← sphere...
New
brunogirin
When trying to run tox in parallel as explained on page 151, I got the following error: tox: error: argument -p/–parallel: expected one...
New
AufHe
I’m a newbie to Rails 7 and have hit an issue with the bin/Dev script mentioned on pages 112-113. Iteration A1 - Seeing the list of prod...
New
taguniversalmachine
Hi, I am getting an error I cannot figure out on my test. I have what I think is the exact code from the book, other than I changed “us...
New
Keton
When running the program in chapter 8, “Implementing Combat”, the printout Health before attack was never printed so I assumed something ...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use WebRTC to build web applications that stream media and data in real time directly from one user to another, all in the browser. ...
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background Lately I am in a quest to find a good quality TTS ai generation tool to run locally in order to create audio for some videos I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New

Sub Categories: