andatki

andatki

Author of High Performance PostgreSQL for Rails

High Performance PostgreSQL for Rails: "Is this useful for non Rails users?"

Roshan asked:

Is this useful for non Rails users?

As the author, I’m biased, but I think so. While all of the application code examples are in Ruby and Active Record, there are many types of code or configuration throughout the book that aren’t.

For example, there’s SQL, shell scripts, SQL Query functions, PL/pgSQL procedures, and native database objects like constraints, views, or cursors that readers work with.

Don’t take it from me though. :grin: How about these responses from readers that work primarily with other technologies:

Robert T. wrote:

Excited to see this hit the market. While Rails is in the title, don’t be put off if you work with something else; the Rails ecosystem provides a wealth of developer tooling and Ruby is an easily accessible language for studying, and the information can definitely be adapted to different domains.

Dave C. said:

​"A book with this information would’ve allowed me to shortcut several years off of learning Postgres the hard way."

Haki B. wrote (after reading portions of the book):

“It’s amazing how much Django and rails resemble each other.”

My estimation is the book is about 75% PostgreSQL and about 25% Ruby on Rails.

My hope is that the book is useful even for programmers that work with other MVC full-stack web frameworks like Django (Python) or Laravel (PHP). Those frameworks will have ORMs with some overlap with Active Record, and when they connect to PostgreSQL, may have some of the same challenges around writing high performance queries.

Other topics like schema design, indexing, or maintenance, all have less to do with specific web frameworks or programming languages.

I also discussed with Drew Bragg on the podcast “Code and the Coding Coders who Code it Episode 27 - Andrew Atkinson” at the 33:50 mark:
https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/code-and-the/episode-27-andrew-atkinson-0uJ_Yc82Npv/

While I originally considered positioning the book more broadly as something like: “PostgreSQL for Web Developers”, I didn’t think that would work out as well.

The main reason was because I wanted to have lots of concrete examples and exercises, inspired by my career experience from working with Ruby on Rails and PostgreSQL over the last decade.

To do that, the book uses more than 40 libraries from the broader ecosystem, as PostgreSQL extensions and Ruby gems. Most (not all) of the open source libraries that are included are there because I have firsthand experience using them in production. It felt more authentic to stick with what I knew best and have put into production and maintained myself. For libraries where that’s not the case, I try and call that out.

Hope that helps! Thanks for your interest!

book-high-performance-postgresql-for-rails

First Post!

andatki

andatki

Author of High Performance PostgreSQL for Rails

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

Alexandr
Hi everyone! There is an error on the page 71 in the book “Programming machine learning from coding to depp learning” P. Perrotta. You c...
New
edruder
I thought that there might be interest in using the book with Rails 6.1 and Ruby 2.7.2. I’ll note what I needed to do differently here. ...
New
leba0495
Hello! Thanks for the great book. I was attempting the Trie (chap 17) exercises and for number 4 the solution provided for the autocorre...
New
jskubick
I think I might have found a problem involving SwitchCompat, thumbTint, and trackTint. As entered, the SwitchCompat changes color to hol...
New
jskubick
I’m under the impression that when the reader gets to page 136 (“View Data with the Database Inspector”), the code SHOULD be able to buil...
New
jskubick
I found an issue in Chapter 7 regarding android:backgroundTint vs app:backgroundTint. How to replicate: load chapter-7 from zipfile i...
New
brunogirin
When trying to run tox in parallel as explained on page 151, I got the following error: tox: error: argument -p/–parallel: expected one...
New
taguniversalmachine
It seems the second code snippet is missing the code to set the current_user: current_user: Accounts.get_user_by_session_token(session["...
New
andreheijstek
After running /bin/setup, the first error was: The foreman' command exists in these Ruby versions: That was easy to fix: gem install fore...
New
ggerico
I got this error when executing the plot files on macOS Ventura 13.0.1 with Python 3.10.8 and matplotlib 3.6.1: programming_ML/code/03_...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
If it’s a mechanical keyboard, which switches do you have? Would you recommend it? Why? What will your next keyboard be? Pics always w...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Stop developing web apps with yesterday’s tools. Today, developers are increasingly adopting Clojure as a web-development platform. See f...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
Exadra37
I am thinking in building or buy a desktop computer for programing, both professionally and on my free time, and my choice of OS is Linux...
New
dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New

Sub Categories: