tvanderpol
Genetic Algorithms in Elixir: Ch4, tracking temperature in evolve() (~p178)
The evolve signature in this code sample suddenly loses the population argument which I think isn’t intended, the code goes on to use it a little later without an alternate source for it.
Edit: In this same code block, the variable best gets assigned an integer whereas previous it’d been a Chromosome. Other code (like our printing the results) expects best to contain a Chromosome, as it gets returned from evolve().
My amended evolve function looks like this instead:
def evolve(population, problem, generation, last_max_fitness, temperature, opts \\ []) do
population = evaluate(population, &problem.fitness_function/1, opts)
best = Enum.max_by(population, &problem.fitness_function/1)
best_fitness = best.fitness
temperature = 0.8 * (temperature + (best_fitness - last_max_fitness))
IO.write("\rCurrent Best: #{List.to_string(best.genes)} (#{best.fitness})")
if problem.terminate?(population, generation, temperature) do
best
else
generation = generation + 1
population
|> select(opts)
|> crossover(opts)
|> mutation(opts)
|> evolve(problem, generation, best_fitness, temperature, opts)
end
end
(Disregard the IO.write, I like to see what’s going on :))
Marked As Solved
seanmor5
Author of Genetic Algorithms in Elixir
This was a transcription error between my code and what’s presented in the book.
best should be a Chromosome as evolve should return the entire solution found. Thanks for pointing this out!
2
Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics
Python Testing With Pytest - Chapter 2, warnings for “unregistered custom marks”
While running the smoke tests in Chapter 2, I get these...
New
@noelrappin
Running the webpack dev server, I receive the following warning:
ERROR in tsconfig.json
TS18003: No inputs were found in c...
New
The test is as follows:
Scenario: Intersecting a scaled sphere with a ray
Given r ← ray(point(0, 0, -5), vector(0, 0, 1))
And s ← sphere...
New
I found an issue in Chapter 7 regarding android:backgroundTint vs app:backgroundTint.
How to replicate:
load chapter-7 from zipfile i...
New
Title: Build a Weather Station with Elixir and Nerves: Problem connecting to Postgres with Grafana on (page 64)
If you follow the defau...
New
Is there any place where we can discuss the solutions to some of the exercises? I can figure most of them out, but am having trouble with...
New
It seems the second code snippet is missing the code to set the current_user:
current_user: Accounts.get_user_by_session_token(session["...
New
Hi, I need some help, I’m new to rust and was learning through your book. but I got stuck at the last stage of distribution. Whenever I t...
New
Modern Front-End Development for Rails - application does not start after run bin/setup (page xviii)
After some hassle, I was able to finally run bin/setup, now I have started the rails server but I get this error message right when I vis...
New
Hello @herbert ! Trying to get the very first “Hello, Bracket Terminal!" example to run (p. 53). I develop on an Amazon EC2 instance runn...
New
Other popular topics
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
New
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting:
asdf install erlang 23.1.2
Configure failed.
checking ...
New
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first:
asdf plugin-upd...
New
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one:
I got 51/100:
Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet.
Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
Hello,
I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application.
Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New
This is a very quick guide, you just need to:
Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/
Click on search
Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Popular Portals
- /elixir
- /rust
- /wasm
- /ruby
- /erlang
- /phoenix
- /keyboards
- /python
- /js
- /rails
- /security
- /go
- /swift
- /vim
- /java
- /clojure
- /typescript
- /emacs
- /haskell
- /svelte
- /onivim
- /kotlin
- /react
- /c-plus-plus
- /crystal
- /tailwind
- /gleam
- /ocaml
- /elm
- /vscode
- /flutter
- /html
- /deepseek
- /ash
- /zig
- /opensuse
- /centos
- /php
- /react-native
- /scala
- /lisp
- /sublime-text
- /textmate
- /nixos
- /debian
- /agda
- /deno
- /django
- /kubuntu
- /nodejs
- /arch-linux
- /ubuntu
- /spring
- /revery
- /manjaro
- /julia
- /quarkus
- /diversity
- /lua
- /laravel









