symbolboxer

symbolboxer

From Ruby to Elixir: Broken test for MessageController (182)

Hi! I believe I’ve found an erratum.

tl;dr: MessageController/create does not add changeset validation errors to the flash, which breaks one of its tests.

On page 182 we write this test:

test "invalid params is rejected", %{conn: conn} do
  conn = post(conn, ~p"/messages/new", %{}) assert html_response(conn, 200) =~
             Plug.HTML.html_escape("can't be blank")
end

Which resulted in this error when I ran it:

1) test POST /messages/new invalid params is rejected (PhoneAppWeb.MessageControllerTest)
     test/phone_app_web/controllers/message_controller_test.exs:34
     Assertion with =~ failed
     code:  assert html_response(conn, 200) =~ Plug.HTML.html_escape("can't be blank")
     left:  "<!DOCTYPE html>\n<html lang=\"en\" class=\"[scrollbar-gutter:stable]\">\n  <head>
     [rest of page truncated]
     right: "can&#39;t be blank"

After some valuable Elixir debugging practice, I believe I have the cause. The test in this case is looking for a “can’t be blank” error somewhere on the page. In MessageController/create, there is code that takes errors and puts them into the flash on line 48. However, that code is never reached because changeset validation happens on line 43 and the error shoots us down to line 55. That error handler doesn’t do anything specifically with the error. It passes the changeset to the view to render, but I don’t see where in the view it would display the error. Thus, the validation error doesn’t appear on the rendered view, and the test can’t find it.

Thanks, and just let me know if I’ve gotten something wrong.

Marked As Solved

sb8244

sb8244

Author of From Ruby to Elixir and Real-Time Phoenix

Thanks for sharing that. I took a look at CoreComponents.input and found the definition was slightly varied. I changed this line:

    # used to be:
    # errors =  if Phoenix.Component.used_input?(field), do: field.errors, else: []
    errors = field.errors

and the test passes. This was a change in the latest implementation of CoreComponents, hence the difference.

Now, to get this test passing without modifying the above line, I had to tweak the test to pass in blank inputs:

    test "invalid params is rejected", %{conn: conn} do
      params = %{message: %{to: "", body: ""}}
      conn = post(conn, ~p"/messages/new", params)

      assert html_response(conn, 200) =~
               Plug.HTML.html_escape("can't be blank")
    end

We can look through the implementation of used_input? to see why this works. By passing in the data, the form.params field contains the input field, so it counts as “used”

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

johnp
Running the examples in chapter 5 c under pytest 5.4.1 causes an AttributeError: ‘module’ object has no attribute ‘config’. In particula...
New
belgoros
Following the steps described in Chapter 6 of the book, I’m stuck with running the migration as described on page 84: bundle exec sequel...
New
brianokken
Many tasks_proj/tests directories exist in chapters 2, 3, 5 that have tests that use the custom markers smoke and get, which are not decl...
New
jdufour
Hello! On page xix of the preface, it says there is a community forum "… for help if your’re stuck on one of the exercises in this book… ...
New
alanq
This isn’t directly about the book contents so maybe not the right forum…but in some of the code apps (e.g. turbo/06) it sends a TURBO_ST...
New
leonW
I ran this command after installing the sample application: $ cards add do something --owner Brian And got a file not found error: Fil...
New
digitalbias
Title: Build a Weather Station with Elixir and Nerves: Problem connecting to Postgres with Grafana on (page 64) If you follow the defau...
New
AufHe
I’m a newbie to Rails 7 and have hit an issue with the bin/Dev script mentioned on pages 112-113. Iteration A1 - Seeing the list of prod...
New
taguniversalmachine
Hi, I am getting an error I cannot figure out on my test. I have what I think is the exact code from the book, other than I changed “us...
New
mert
AWDWR 7, page 152, page 153: Hello everyone, I’m a little bit lost on the hotwire part. I didn’t fully understand it. On page 152 @rub...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Fight complexity and reclaim the original spirit of agility by learning to simplify how you develop software. The result: a more humane a...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New

Sub Categories: