hoeppner

hoeppner

From Ruby to Elixir — warning about invalid association when doing mix ecto.create (page 97)

Hi @sb8244,

I get a warning when I try to do the migrations on page 97 with mix ecto.create:

warning: invalid association sms_messages in schema PhoneApp.Conversations.Schema.Contact: associated schema PhoneApp.Conversations.Schema.SmsMessage does not have field contact_id
lib/phone_app/conversations/schema/contact.ex:1

I wanted to ask if this is because of the following:

The “SmsMessage” module has a clause that says schema "sms_messages" do. That is, the name of the module has the singular form, but the name of the schema is plural.
In case of the “Contact” module, the situation is reversed. It has an equivalent clause that says schema "contacts" do.

My confusion starts here:

The “SmsMessage” module refers to the contact s via belongs_to :contact (note the singular form in the token), while the “Contact” module refers to the SMS messages via has_many :sms_messages (note the plural).

Do the tokens’ (:contact, :sms_messages) forms (singular/plural) need to agree with the words in the schema clauses (i.e., schema "contacts" do and schema "sms_messages" do)?

Most Liked

sb8244

sb8244

Author of From Ruby to Elixir and Real-Time Phoenix

Which page are on on when you get this? One section of the chapter calls out that you’ll get a warning because we haven’t set up the other side of the association yet. In that case, the warning goes away a few pages later.

The plurality in the book is correct. Has many is plural, belongs to is singular. Schema modules are singular but the table name is plural (table name actually doesn’t matter.)

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

abtin
page 20: … protoc command… I had to additionally run the following go get commands in order to be able to compile protobuf code using go...
New
jimschubert
In Chapter 3, the source for index introduces Config on page 31, followed by more code including tests; Config isn’t introduced until pag...
New
joepstender
The generated iex result below should list products instead of product for the metadata. (page 67) iex> product = %Product{} %Pento....
New
adamwoolhether
When trying to generate the protobuf .go file, I receive this error: Unknown flag: --go_opt libprotoc 3.12.3 MacOS 11.3.1 Googling ...
New
jgchristopher
“The ProductLive.Index template calls a helper function, live_component/3, that in turn calls on the modal component. ” Excerpt From: Br...
New
jskubick
I’m under the impression that when the reader gets to page 136 (“View Data with the Database Inspector”), the code SHOULD be able to buil...
New
Charles
In general, the book isn’t yet updated for Phoenix version 1.6. On page 18 of the book, the authors indicate that an auto generated of ro...
New
oaklandgit
Hi, I completed chapter 6 but am getting the following error when running: thread 'main' panicked at 'Failed to load texture: IoError(O...
New
a.zampa
@mfazio23 I’m following the indications of the book and arriver ad chapter 10, but the app cannot be compiled due to an error in the Bas...
New
bjnord
Hello @herbert ! Trying to get the very first “Hello, Bracket Terminal!" example to run (p. 53). I develop on an Amazon EC2 instance runn...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Stop developing web apps with yesterday’s tools. Today, developers are increasingly adopting Clojure as a web-development platform. See f...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
husaindevelop
Inside our android webview app, we are trying to paste the copied content from another app eg (notes) using navigator.clipboard.readtext ...
New
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New

Sub Categories: