orville

orville

From Ruby to Elixir: Stuck at the start (page 20)

I managed to install asdf, then erlang and elixir via asdf.

I was able to create and test the example Mix project (page 19) successfully.

I’m confused where to put the very first example: one.ex with two functions (hello/0 and welcome/1). The filenames given start with elixir_examples/lib so I assumed that ‘lib’ is the same lib directory created on page 19, and thus created the one.ex file in a new examples/modules directory. However, running iex as shown on page 21 generates a “function Examples.Modules.One.hello/0 is undefined (module Examples.Modules.One is not available)” error message. I am invoking $ iex -S mix from the same directory that contains lib and mix.exs.

I’ve played around for a couple hours and am stumped. Thanks in advance for a hint!

Most Liked

orville

orville

The primary cause was a typo in the “defmodule” in one.ex.

However, I still find the path to the example files confusing: just prior to setting up the examples, the book has us run “mix new examples” (p19) which creates a new folder, “examples,” which contains a “lib” folder where we are to place our source code. The first example on the following page, however, places the “one.ex” in a path that has those folder names in reverse: “elixir_examples/lib/examples/modules/one.ex” so it’s confusing, especially since the top-level directory is different than the “examples” directory just created, and then we have to add two empty directories inside lib (including a confusing second instance of “examples”.

I think I understand it now, but I found it a bit confusing. Enjoying working through the rest of the otherwise excellent book, though!

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jeffmcompsci
Title: Design and Build Great Web APIs - typo “https://company-atk.herokuapp.com/2258ie4t68jv” (page 19, third bullet in URL list) Typo:...
New
Alexandr
Hi everyone! There is an error on the page 71 in the book “Programming machine learning from coding to depp learning” P. Perrotta. You c...
New
herminiotorres
Hi @Margaret , On page VII the book tells us the example and snippets will be all using Elixir version 1.11 But on page 3 almost the en...
New
raul
Hi Travis! Thank you for the cool book! :slight_smile: I made a list of issues and thought I could post them chapter by chapter. I’m rev...
New
rmurray10127
Title: Intuitive Python: docker run… denied error (page 2) Attempted to run the docker command in both CLI and Powershell PS C:\Users\r...
New
Chrichton
Dear Sophie. I tried to do the “Authorization” exercise and have two questions: When trying to plug in an email-service, I found the ...
New
brian-m-ops
#book-python-testing-with-pytest-second-edition Hi. Thanks for writing the book. I am just learning so this might just of been an issue ...
New
New
tkhobbes
After some hassle, I was able to finally run bin/setup, now I have started the rails server but I get this error message right when I vis...
New
Keton
When running the program in chapter 8, “Implementing Combat”, the printout Health before attack was never printed so I assumed something ...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New

Sub Categories: