jrinaldi

jrinaldi

Effective Haskell: wrong definition of sumOfUniques (page 393 on Kindle)

@RebeccaSkinner

Currently, it is:

sumOfUniques n = ​ foldr (add n) (additiveIdentity n) . unique n

It should be:

sumOfUniques n = ​ foldr add additiveIdentity . unique n

Marked As Solved

jrinaldi

jrinaldi

Hi Rebecca,

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. Sorry, the example is actually correct.

I was missing the fact that equal and additiveIdentity are actually field selectors. Instead, I thought they were the fields: types a -> a -> Bool and a, respectively. That would have been the case if the Natural a would have been pattern-matched against Natural{..} by enabling the RecordWildCards extension.

Also Liked

RebeccaSkinner

RebeccaSkinner

Author of Effective Haskell

Hi!

Are you seeing an error? I believe this example should be correct. Remember than in example we’re using our own definition of Natural - a record that contains functions that tell us how to do arithmetic:

data Natural a = Natural
{ equal :: a -> a -> Bool
, add : a -> a -> a
, multiply :: a -> a -> a
, additiveIdentity :: a
, multiplicativeIdentity :: a
, displayAsString :: a -> String
}

We’ll call sumOfUniques by giving it some particular definition of natural numbers, for example intNatural or peanoNatural. Here’s an example of how we might call it:

λ sumOfUniques intNatural [1..10]
55

In this example, we’re passing in intNatural, which tells us how to do these operations on Int values. Its’ defined like this:

intNatural :: Natural Int
intNatural = Natural
  { equal = (==)
  , add = (+)
  , multiply = (*)
  , additiveIdentity = 0
  , multiplicativeIdentity = 1
  , displayAsString = show
  }

If we substitute intNatural for nn in our example, we’d end up with something like this:

foldr (add intNatural) (additiveIdentity intNatural) . unique intNatural

You can see here that we’re accessing the functions inside of our Natural record and passing them in as arguments to foldr. If we expaned this out another layer, it’ll make a bit more sense:

-- First, remember that
add intNatural = (+)
additiveIdentity intNatural = 0

-- so
foldr (add intNatural) (additiveIdentity intNatural) . unique intNatural
-- is the same as
foldr (+) 0 . unique intNatural

Later, once we refactor Natural to be a type class instead of a record, we won’t need to explicitly pass around n at all, since that will be part of the constraint in our type class. In that case, we can imagine that our definition would be something like:

sumOfUniques :: Natural n => [n] -> n
sumOfUniques = foldr add additiveIdentity . unique

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jesse050717
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, pg 116 Hi - I just started chapter 5 and I am stuck on page 116 while trying to star...
New
simonpeter
When I try the command to create a pair of migration files I get an error. user=> (create-migration "guestbook") Execution error (Ill...
New
HarryDeveloper
Hi @venkats, It has been mentioned in the description of ‘Supervisory Job’ title that 2 things as mentioned below result in the same eff...
New
rmurray10127
Title: Intuitive Python: docker run… denied error (page 2) Attempted to run the docker command in both CLI and Powershell PS C:\Users\r...
New
nicoatridge
Hi, I have just acquired Michael Fazio’s “Kotlin and Android Development” to learn about game programming for Android. I have a game in p...
New
hazardco
On page 78 the following code appears: <%= link_to ‘Destroy’, product, class: ‘hover:underline’, method: :delete, data: { confirm...
New
taguniversalmachine
Hi, I am getting an error I cannot figure out on my test. I have what I think is the exact code from the book, other than I changed “us...
New
jonmac
The allprojects block listed on page 245 produces the following error when syncing gradle: “org.gradle.api.GradleScriptException: A prob...
New
creminology
Skimming ahead, much of the following is explained in Chapter 3, but new readers (like me!) will hit a roadblock in Chapter 2 with their ...
New
EdBorn
Title: Agile Web Development with Rails 7: (page 70) I am running windows 11 pro with rails 7.0.3 and ruby 3.1.2p20 (2022-04-12 revision...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Tailwind CSS is an exciting new CSS framework that allows you to design your site by composing simple utility classes to create complex e...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application. Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New

Sub Categories: