andre

andre

Effective Haskell: Observation - Chapter 15 - associated data families (B9 - PDF version)

I’m hopeful for someone that could explain what GHCI does to differentiate an IO action returning a value that has a Show instance versus another IO action returning a value that does not.

Is this difference in behavior related to using associated data families ?

Here is the context that brought this question.

Chapter 15, in the section "Associated Data Families.

On p.574, we find the instance definition of ListDirectory.
Note that the associated data family has a deriving clause.

instance ShellCommand ListDirectory where
    data ShellOutput ListDirectory = 
        DirectoryListing 
          { containingDirectory :: FilePath
          , filenamesInListing :: [FilePath]
          } deriving (Show, Eq)

At the ghci prompt, when you run either of these commands, you get some output.
With the first command, you get a list of values. With the second command, you get a DirectoryListing. Make sense, we have derived a Show instance.

λ> directoryListingWithParent <$> runShellCommand (ListDirectory ".")
[ "./app", "./CHANGELOG.md", "./dist-newstyle",  ... ]

λ> runShellCommand (ListDirectory ".")
DirectoryListing
    { containingDirectory = "."
    , filenamesInListing = [ "app" , "CHANGELOG.md", "dist-newstyle", ...  ]
    }


Moving on to the following page, we find the instance definition of Grep.
Note that the associated data family does NOT have a deriving clause

instance ShellCommand Grep where
    newtype ShellOutput Grep =
        ListOfGrepMatches { getListOfGrepMatches :: [GrepMatch] }

At the GHCI prompt, when you run this command, you do NOT get any output
This makes sense since we have no Show instance. However, why not throwing an error ?

λ> runShellCommand (Grep "version" ["./effectiveHaskell.cabal", "./CHANGELOG.md"])

I’m not sure if what I’m about to say is correct. I suspect that GHCI understands that there is no Show instance.

λ> :t runShellCommand (Grep "version" ["./effectiveHaskell.cabal", "./CHANGELOG.md"])
runShellCommandV3 (Grep "version" ["./effectiveHaskell.cabal", "./CHANGELOG.md"])
  :: IO (ShellOutput Grep)
λ> putStrLn . show <$> runShellCommand (Grep "version" ["./effectiveHaskell.cabal", "./CHANGELOG.md"])

    <interactive>:45:12: error: [GHC-39999]
        • No instance for ‘Show (ShellOutput Grep)’
            arising from a use of ‘show’

If you add the deriving clause, the command returns some output.

instance ShellCommand Grep where
    newtype ShellOutput Grep =
        ListOfGrepMatches { getListOfGrepMatches :: [GrepMatch] }
           deriving Show

-- Same type as the above example, which produces not output
λ> :t (runShellCommand (Grep "version" ["./effectiveHaskell.cabal", "./CHANGELOG.md"]))
(runShellCommandV3 (Grep "version" ["./effectiveHaskell.cabal", "./CHANGELOG.md"]))
  :: IO (ShellOutput Grep)


λ> runShellCommand (Grep "version" ["./effectiveHaskell.cabal", "./CHANGELOG.md"])`

    ListOfGrepMatches
        { getListingOfGrepMatches =
            [ GrepMatch
                { grepMatchingFileName = "./effectiveHaskell.cabal"
                , grepMatchingLineNumber = 1
                , grepMatchingLineContents = "cabal-version:      2.4"
                }
   << rest of output truncated >>

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jimschubert
In Chapter 3, the source for index introduces Config on page 31, followed by more code including tests; Config isn’t introduced until pag...
New
jamis
The following is cross-posted from the original Ray Tracer Challenge forum, from a post by garfieldnate. I’m cross-posting it so that the...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-On Rust (Chapter 11: prefab) Just played a couple of amulet-less games. With a bit of debugging, I believe that your can_p...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-on Rust: question about get_component (page 295) (feel free to respond. “You dug you’re own hole… good luck”) I have somet...
New
fynn
This is as much a suggestion as a question, as a note for others. Locally the SGP30 wasn’t available, so I ordered a SGP40. On page 53, ...
New
adamwoolhether
I’m not quite sure what’s going on here, but I’m unable to have to containers successfully complete the Readiness/Liveness checks. I’m im...
New
digitalbias
Title: Build a Weather Station with Elixir and Nerves: Problem connecting to Postgres with Grafana on (page 64) If you follow the defau...
New
s2k
Hi all, currently I wonder how the Tailwind colours work (or don’t work). For example, in app/views/layouts/application.html.erb I have...
New
ggerico
I got this error when executing the plot files on macOS Ventura 13.0.1 with Python 3.10.8 and matplotlib 3.6.1: programming_ML/code/03_...
New
redconfetti
Docker-Machine became part of the Docker Toolbox, which was deprecated in 2020, long after Docker Desktop supported Docker Engine nativel...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework. Brian Okken @brianokken Edited by Kat...
New
AstonJ
We’ve talked about his book briefly here but it is quickly becoming obsolete - so he’s decided to create a series of 7 podcasts, the firs...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background Lately I am in a quest to find a good quality TTS ai generation tool to run locally in order to create audio for some videos I...
New

Sub Categories: