molleweide

molleweide

Effective Haskell: Left / Right types in Calculator?

@RebeccaSkinner,

page 141. calculator.

I suggest you explain a little more about why you introduced the Left and Right types in the Calculator parser or where they come from.

If I am correct you use them to distinguish between the first and second output of readEither but I am not sure.

You do pattern matching against Left / Right in the case statement for readEither in parser' but it is not clear to me where they come from exactly. When I look at :info for readEither it sais String -> Either String a and so I am thinking does readEither return Left/Right values implicitly?

Edit: Now, reading through the code again, I realise that the above is wrong, however, there is something about the source code to the calculator that I don’t really understand.
I see now that the readEither is used as the case expression in case expr of but I have never seen a function being used alone as the case expr. Does this mean that lit is being passed into the case expression and then is passed as argument to readEither?

parse' :: [String] -> Either String (Expr, [String])
parse' [] = Left "unexpected end of expression"
parse' (token:rest) =
  case token of
    "+" -> parseBinary Add rest
    "*" -> parseBinary Mul rest
    "-" -> parseBinary Sub rest
    "/" -> parseBinary Div rest
    lit ->
      case readEither of
        Left err -> Left err
        Right lit' -> Right (Lit lit', rest)

First Post!

RebeccaSkinner

RebeccaSkinner

Author of Effective Haskell

Hi! It looks like this is a bug that has been fixed now. The correct example should be:

case readEither lit of
  ...

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jamis
The following is cross-posted from the original Ray Tracer Challenge forum, from a post by garfieldnate. I’m cross-posting it so that the...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-On Rust (Chap 8 (Adding a Heads Up Display) It looks like ​.with_simple_console_no_bg​(SCREEN_WIDTH*2, SCREEN_HEIGHT*2...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-on Rust: question about get_component (page 295) (feel free to respond. “You dug you’re own hole… good luck”) I have somet...
New
alanq
This isn’t directly about the book contents so maybe not the right forum…but in some of the code apps (e.g. turbo/06) it sends a TURBO_ST...
New
swlaschin
The book has the same “Problem space/Solution space” diagram on page 18 as is on page 17. The correct Problem/Solution space diagrams ar...
New
curtosis
Running mix deps.get in the sensor_hub directory fails with the following error: ** (Mix) No SSH public keys found in ~/.ssh. An ssh aut...
New
kolossal
Hi, I need some help, I’m new to rust and was learning through your book. but I got stuck at the last stage of distribution. Whenever I t...
New
a.zampa
@mfazio23 I’m following the indications of the book and arriver ad chapter 10, but the app cannot be compiled due to an error in the Bas...
New
SlowburnAZ
Getting an error when installing the dependencies at the start of this chapter: could not compile dependency :exla, "mix compile" failed...
New
dachristenson
@mfazio23 Android Studio will not accept anything I do when trying to use the Transformations class, as described on pp. 140-141. Googl...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
AstonJ
poll poll Be sure to check out @Dusty’s article posted here: An Introduction to Alternative Keyboard Layouts It’s one of the best write-...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework. Brian Okken @brianokken Edited by Kat...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Fight complexity and reclaim the original spirit of agility by learning to simplify how you develop software. The result: a more humane a...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Woke up to this today: Claude Code’s complete source code exposed via npm source map. Not a snippet. All 512,000 lines. 1,900 TypeScript ...
New

Sub Categories: