CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Why We Built Lightpanda in Zig

We chose Zig over C++ and Rust because we wanted a simple, modern systems language. Here’s what we learned building a browser with it.

Read in full here:

Most Liked

alvinkatojr

alvinkatojr

This was a nice read about the pros of Zig over any of the other system languages. I liked that the author summarised and justified his decision without being dismissive or being overly smitten with his choice. Practicality matters and in this situation, his decision was/is right.

PS: I’m looking forward to messing with Zig in the future!

alvinkatojr

alvinkatojr

Roger that, Aston, will do. It might take me a while though to get to it, there’s a long line of languages asking for my attention :wink:

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

New
First poster: bot
For the first time in the history of TIOBE’s index, Java has slipped out of the top two, leaving Python to occupy the spot behind reignin...
New
First poster: bot
This blog post walks you through how to implement a time-series database engine based on what I’ve learned from my experience of writing ...
New
New
CommunityNews
Today, we, the Tokio team, are announcing the initial release of Tokio Console (Github), enabling Rust developers to gain deeper insight ...
New
New
CommunityNews
Letting Go of Random. In a recent post I shared some thoughts about art and included a few, somewhat tongue-in-cheek comments about the ...
/go
New
First poster: adamaiken89
PHP: Frankenstein arrays. PHP has become quite a nice language, but there are some ugly legacies left from the past. Like the deceptive ...
New
First poster: faust
Ruffle is a Flash Player emulator written in Rust. Ruffle runs natively on all modern operating systems as a standalone application, and ...
New
First poster: bot
GitHub - pintariching/rustle: Svelte compiler rewritten in Rust. Svelte compiler rewritten in Rust. Contribute to pintariching/rustle de...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
Rainer
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New