Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Cannot compile ssl_verify_fun in Windows 11 for Elixir

Background

I have a phoenix application in Windows 11. Unfortunately for me, I cannot compile the application because of a dependency error in Windows.

What I tried

First I tried the downloading Erlang from the official website (Downloads - Erlang/OTP), and Elixir
1.15.4 for OTP 26 (Installing Elixir - The Elixir programming language)

Unfortunately for me, I was greeted with an error when running mix phx.server.

$ mix deps.compile ssl_verify_fun
==> ssl_verify_fun
Compiling 7 files (.erl)
src/ssl_verify_hostname.erl:16: can't find include lib "public_key/include/public_key.hrl"

So, this lead me into this Elixir thread where the same issue happens for Ubuntu:

The solution found was for the user to install a special erlang package for Ubuntu, erlang-dev. However, since I am on Windows, I don’t really have that option.

So I removed both Erlang and Elixir and installed them using scoop, hoping the older versions of both Elixir and Erlang available there would be free of this issue.

With scoop I am now using:

elixir 1.15.4   main   2023-07-27 10:27:04
erlang 25.3.2.4 main   2023-07-27 10:10:31

Error

However, this still does not fix the issue, as I am greeted with a barrage of errors:

==> ssl_verify_fun
Compiling 7 files (.erl)
src/ssl_verify_fingerprint.erl:15:14: can't find include lib "public_key/include/public_key.hrl"
%   15| -include_lib("public_key/include/public_key.hrl").
%     |              ^

src/ssl_verify_pk.erl:14:14: can't find include lib "public_key/include/public_key.hrl"
%   14| -include_lib("public_key/include/public_key.hrl").
%     |              ^

src/ssl_verify_fun_cert_helpers.erl:13:14: can't find include lib "public_key/include/public_key.hrl"
%   13| -include_lib("public_key/include/public_key.hrl").
%     |              ^

src/ssl_verify_fingerprint.erl:27:26: record 'OTPCertificate' undefined
%   27| -spec verify_fun(Cert :: #'OTPCertificate'{},
%     |                          ^

src/ssl_verify_pk.erl:26:26: record 'OTPCertificate' undefined
%   26| -spec verify_fun(Cert :: #'OTPCertificate'{},
%     |                          ^

src/ssl_verify_fun_cert_helpers.erl:23:34: undefined macro 'id-ce-subjectAltName'
%   23|   AltSubject = select_extension(?'id-ce-subjectAltName', Extensions),
%     |                                  ^

src/ssl_verify_fingerprint.erl:29:39: record 'Extension' undefined
%   29|                           {extension, #'Extension'{}}, InitialUserState :: term()) ->
%     |                                       ^

src/ssl_verify_pk.erl:28:39: record 'Extension' undefined
%   28|                           {extension, #'Extension'{}}, InitialUserState :: term()) ->
%     |                                       ^

src/ssl_verify_hostname.erl:16:14: can't find include lib "public_key/include/public_key.hrl"
%   16| -include_lib("public_key/include/public_key.hrl").
%     |              ^

src/ssl_verify_fun_cert_helpers.erl:9:2: function extract_dns_names/1 undefined
%    9| -export([extract_dns_names/1,
%     |  ^

src/ssl_verify_fingerprint.erl:52:39: record 'OTPCertificate' undefined
%   52| -spec verify_cert_fingerprint(Cert :: #'OTPCertificate'{}, Fingerprint :: fingerprint()) ->
%     |                                       ^

src/ssl_verify_pk.erl:51:30: record 'OTPCertificate' undefined
%   51| -spec verify_cert_pk(Cert :: #'OTPCertificate'{}, Pk :: pk()) ->
%     |                              ^

src/ssl_verify_hostname.erl:28:26: record 'OTPCertificate' undefined
%   28| -spec verify_fun(Cert :: #'OTPCertificate'{},
%     |                          ^

src/ssl_verify_fun_cert_helpers.erl:19:2: spec for undefined function extract_dns_names/1
%   19| -spec extract_dns_names(Cert :: #'OTPCertificate'{}) -> [] | [string()].
%     |  ^

src/ssl_verify_hostname.erl:30:39: record 'Extension' undefined
%   30|                           {extension, #'Extension'{}}, InitialUserState :: term()) ->
%     |                                       ^

src/ssl_verify_fun_cert_helpers.erl:19:33: record 'OTPCertificate' undefined
%   19| -spec extract_dns_names(Cert :: #'OTPCertificate'{}) -> [] | [string()].
%     |                                 ^

src/ssl_verify_hostname.erl:46:36: record 'OTPCertificate' undefined
%   46| -spec verify_cert_hostname(Cert :: #'OTPCertificate'{}, Hostname :: hostname()) ->
%     |                                    ^

src/ssl_verify_fun_cert_helpers.erl:32:26: record 'OTPCertificate' undefined
%   32| -spec extract_cn(Cert :: #'OTPCertificate'{}) -> {error, no_common_name} | {ok, string()} | {error, invalid}.
%     |                          ^

src/ssl_verify_hostname.erl:76:38: record 'OTPCertificate' undefined
%   76|                              Cert :: #'OTPCertificate'{},
%     |                                      ^

src/ssl_verify_fun_cert_helpers.erl:34:17: record 'OTPCertificate' undefined
%   34|   TBSCert = Cert#'OTPCertificate'.tbsCertificate,
%     |                 ^

src/ssl_verify_fun_cert_helpers.erl:35:32: record 'OTPTBSCertificate' undefined
%   35|   {rdnSequence, List} = TBSCert#'OTPTBSCertificate'.subject,
%     |                                ^

src/ssl_verify_fun_cert_helpers.erl:38:26: record 'OTPCertificate' undefined
%   38| -spec extract_pk(Cert :: #'OTPCertificate'{}) -> {error, no_common_name} | #'SubjectPublicKeyInfo'{}.
%     |                          ^

src/ssl_verify_fun_cert_helpers.erl:38:76: record 'SubjectPublicKeyInfo' undefined
%   38| -spec extract_pk(Cert :: #'OTPCertificate'{}) -> {error, no_common_name} | #'SubjectPublicKeyInfo'{}.
%     |                                                                            ^

src/ssl_verify_fun_cert_helpers.erl:40:17: record 'OTPCertificate' undefined
%   40|   TBSCert = Cert#'OTPCertificate'.tbsCertificate,
%     |                 ^

src/ssl_verify_fun_cert_helpers.erl:41:26: record 'OTPTBSCertificate' undefined
%   41|   PublicKeyInfo = TBSCert#'OTPTBSCertificate'.subjectPublicKeyInfo,
%     |                          ^

src/ssl_verify_fun_cert_helpers.erl:42:16: record 'OTPSubjectPublicKeyInfo' undefined
%   42|   PublicKeyInfo#'OTPSubjectPublicKeyInfo'.subjectPublicKey.
%     |                ^

src/ssl_verify_fun_cert_helpers.erl:48:24: record 'Extension' undefined
%   48| -spec extensions_list([#'Extension'{}] | asn1_NOVALUE) -> [] | [#'Extension'{}].
ean it with "mix deps.clean ssl_verify_fun"n, "mix compile" failed. Errors may have been logged above. You can recompile this dependency with "mix deps.compile ssl_verify_fun --force", update it with "mix deps.update ssl_verify_fun" or cl%     |                        ^
src/ssl_verify_fun_cert_helpers.erl:48:65: record 'Extension' undefined
%   48| -spec extensions_list([#'Extension'{}] | asn1_NOVALUE) -> [] | [#'Extension'{}].
%     |                                                                 ^

src/ssl_verify_fun_cert_helpers.erl:55:39: record 'Extension' undefined
%   55| -spec select_extension(Id :: term(), [#'Extension'{}]) -> undefined | #'Extension'{}.
%     |                                       ^

src/ssl_verify_fun_cert_helpers.erl:55:71: record 'Extension' undefined
%   55| -spec select_extension(Id :: term(), [#'Extension'{}]) -> undefined | #'Extension'{}.
%     |                                                                       ^

src/ssl_verify_fun_cert_helpers.erl:57:28: record 'Extension' undefined
%   57|   Matching = [Extension || #'Extension'{extnID = ExtId} = Extension <- Extensions, ExtId =:= Id],
%     |                            ^

src/ssl_verify_fun_cert_helpers.erl:57:84: variable 'ExtId' is unbound
%   57|   Matching = [Extension || #'Extension'{extnID = ExtId} = Extension <- Extensions, ExtId =:= Id],
%     |                                                                                    ^

src/ssl_verify_fun_cert_helpers.erl:75:15: record 'AttributeTypeAndValue' undefined
%   75| extract_cn2([[#'AttributeTypeAndValue'{type={2, 5, 4, 3},
%     |               ^

src/ssl_verify_fun_cert_helpers.erl:77:39: variable 'CN' is unbound
%   77|   ssl_verify_fun_encodings:get_string(CN);
%     |                                       ^

src/ssl_verify_fun_cert_helpers.erl:49:1: Warning: function extensions_list/1 is unused
%   49| extensions_list(E) ->
%     | ^

src/ssl_verify_fun_cert_helpers.erl:56:1: Warning: function select_extension/2 is unused
%   56| select_extension(Id, Extensions) ->
%     | ^

src/ssl_verify_fun_cert_helpers.erl:64:1: Warning: function extract_dns_names_from_alt_names/2 is unused
%   64| extract_dns_names_from_alt_names([ExtValue | Rest], Acc) ->
%     | ^

At this point, given my setup is on Windows, I don’t know what else to try.

Question

How can I fix this issue?

Marked As Solved

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Answer

After some more digging I found out this issue:

Which represents my problem. Basically Elixir does not check the correct paths for the missing file:

Now, there is a possible workaround for this issue. By forcing your application to use a more updated version of the dependency in question (ssl_verify_fun), you can add this to your mix.exs file:

{:ssl_verify_fun, “~> 1.1.7”, manager: :rebar3, override: true}

However, I don’t really like this. If tomorrow the same thing happens, you have to overwrite again. And when overwrites start conflicting with each other, then you really have a problem.

In my case, I found which application was using the old version of ssl_verify_fun by looking at mix.lock. It was hackney.

However, instead of going through every dependency and trying to fix it, I took the more nuclear approach. I deleted my mix.lock and then run mix deps.update --all.

This forced some older dependencies to update. After that a simple mix deps.get fixed the issue and mix phx.server worked.

You can find more information in the Elixir Forum thread:

Also Liked

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

Sometime removing mix.lock and _build, deps folders is helping in dev.

But it might not be recommended otherwise :slight_smile:

Glad You find a solution to your problem.

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
joshi
Hey everybody! I’m working on the project that includes import of Oracle data to PostgreSQL. That data comes as Oracle export (expdp) fi...
New
sampu
I have a use case where a client is invoking a Rest endpoint via a load balancer, which in turn invokes a third party endpoint which is r...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background While playing around with dialyzer, typespecs and currying, I was able to create an example of a false positive in dialyzer. ...
New
JimmyCarterSon
I am confused about the Schema setup, I am setting up a new application and I want to seed files in it as well. I tried to mix to create...
New
JimmyCarterSon
Hello, I am working on a new application with Elixir, Dish_out. I want to see Data I follow this tutorial with Elixir Casts. However, I ...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have an umbrella project, where I run mix test from the root. In one of the apps, I am mocking the File module using the Mo...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have an umbrella app where I use a dependecy called ETS. This dependency has a type called set_options that I use in some of...
New
pillaiindu
What is the difference between using :references and :belongs_to in the following command? bin/rails generate scaffold LineItem product:...
New
yamuna
Hi everyone, I’m trying to run deepseek-coder:6.7b-instruct-q4_K_M in Docker using Ollama to create an LLM that will be used by CrewAI a...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Stop developing web apps with yesterday’s tools. Today, developers are increasingly adopting Clojure as a web-development platform. See f...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Programming Ruby is the most complete book on Ruby, covering both the language itself and the standard library as well as commonly used t...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New