chriseyre2000

chriseyre2000

Concurrent Data Processing In Elixir: Chapter 3 Errata

Towards the end of Chapter 3 (B2) the via function is implemented as:
def via(id) do
{{:via, Registry, {ProducerConsumerRegistry, id}}, []}
end

However the app fails to start unless you change this to:

def via(id) do
{:via, Registry, {ProducerConsumerRegistry, id}}
end

Here is the code that I entered as specified in the book: GitHub - chriseyre2000/scraper: Sample app from chapter 3 of Concurrent Data Processing In Elixir

I did restart this chapter from B1 just in case something had changed/been fixed.

First Post!

svilen

svilen

Author of Concurrent Data Processing in Elixir

Thank you for reporting this Christopher! And thanks for sharing the code, it was super helpful.

Looks like I made a mistake when introducing this. Rather than using {{:via, Registry, {ProducerConsumerRegistry, id}}, []} the book should ask you to modify page_consumer_supervisor.ex and update the subscribe_to options like so:

    opts = [
      strategy: :one_for_one,
      subscribe_to: [
        {OnlinePageProducerConsumer.via("online_page_producer_consumer_1"), []},
        {OnlinePageProducerConsumer.via("online_page_producer_consumer_2"), []}
      ]
    ]

However, you can still keep the code that you have at the moment. You’ll just get a warning message like this:

[warn]  :subscribe_to value with type {:via, module(), term()} is deprecated

I’ll make sure this is fixed in the next version :+1:

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jesse050717
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, pg 116 Hi - I just started chapter 5 and I am stuck on page 116 while trying to star...
New
jdufour
Hello! On page xix of the preface, it says there is a community forum "… for help if your’re stuck on one of the exercises in this book… ...
New
herminiotorres
Hi @Margaret , On page VII the book tells us the example and snippets will be all using Elixir version 1.11 But on page 3 almost the en...
New
herminiotorres
Hi! I know not the intentions behind this narrative when called, on page XI: mount() |> handle_event() |> render() but the correc...
New
alanq
This isn’t directly about the book contents so maybe not the right forum…but in some of the code apps (e.g. turbo/06) it sends a TURBO_ST...
New
leba0495
Hello! Thanks for the great book. I was attempting the Trie (chap 17) exercises and for number 4 the solution provided for the autocorre...
New
curtosis
Running mix deps.get in the sensor_hub directory fails with the following error: ** (Mix) No SSH public keys found in ~/.ssh. An ssh aut...
New
jskubick
I’m under the impression that when the reader gets to page 136 (“View Data with the Database Inspector”), the code SHOULD be able to buil...
New
brunogirin
When running tox for the first time, I got the following error: ERROR: InterpreterNotFound: python3.10 I realised that I was running ...
New
roadbike
From page 13: On Python 3.7, you can install the libraries with pip by running these commands inside a Python venv using Visual Studio ...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Stop developing web apps with yesterday’s tools. Today, developers are increasingly adopting Clojure as a web-development platform. See f...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write Elixir tests that you can be proud of. Dive into Elixir’s test philosophy and gain mastery over the terminology and concepts that u...
New
Exadra37
I am thinking in building or buy a desktop computer for programing, both professionally and on my free time, and my choice of OS is Linux...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New

Sub Categories: