sprite2005

sprite2005

Concurrent Data Processing in Elixir: Using a mapper operation after reduce/3 is deprecated (page 114)

@svilen

warning: Using a mapper operation, such as map/filter/reject, after reduce/3 is deprecated. Use Flow.on_trigger/2 instead
(flow 1.2.0) lib/flow.ex:1916: Flow.add_mapper/3
(airports 0.1.0) lib/airports.ex:25: Airports.open_airports/0
(stdlib 4.0.1) erl_eval.erl:744: :erl_eval.do_apply/7
(elixir 1.13.4) src/elixir.erl:296: :elixir.recur_eval/3
(elixir 1.13.4) src/elixir.erl:274: :elixir.eval_forms/3
(iex 1.13.4) lib/iex/evaluator.ex:310: IEx.Evaluator.handle_eval/3

How would we rewrite this as an on_trigger function?

Most Liked

andybab

andybab

This should work, but is longer than Flow.map version from book:

...
     |> Flow.reject(&(&1.type == "closed"))
     |> Flow.partition(key: {:key, :country})
     |> Flow.group_by(& &1.country)
     |> Flow.on_trigger(fn map ->
        country_data = Enum.map(map, fn {country, data} -> {country, Enum.count(data)} end)
        {country_data, map}
      end)
     #|> Flow.map(fn {country, data} -> {country, Enum.count(data)} end)
     |> Enum.to_list()
rschenk

rschenk

@svilen

I ran into this problem as well. While @andybab’s solution will produce the correct answer, I believe the use of Enum.map means that this part of the computation will not be calculated concurrently, whereas (I think?) the version in the book which uses Flow.map will be run in parallel. I could be wrong, I’m totally new at this.

It sure would be nice if the author of the book could provide a version that is both concurrent and not deprecated.

Edit: looks like my thinking was wrong. If you throw an IO.inspect(self()) into the andybab’s on_trigger callback, you can see that this does get split in parallel across multiple stages. For a noob, it’s confusing why/how this works and why you can’t use Flow.map instead, hopefully the author can update this section with an explanation.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

telemachus
Python Testing With Pytest - Chapter 2, warnings for “unregistered custom marks” While running the smoke tests in Chapter 2, I get these...
New
simonpeter
When I try the command to create a pair of migration files I get an error. user=> (create-migration "guestbook") Execution error (Ill...
New
herminiotorres
Hi @Margaret , On page VII the book tells us the example and snippets will be all using Elixir version 1.11 But on page 3 almost the en...
New
joepstender
The generated iex result below should list products instead of product for the metadata. (page 67) iex> product = %Product{} %Pento....
New
leonW
I ran this command after installing the sample application: $ cards add do something --owner Brian And got a file not found error: Fil...
New
fynn
This is as much a suggestion as a question, as a note for others. Locally the SGP30 wasn’t available, so I ordered a SGP40. On page 53, ...
New
AufHe
I’m a newbie to Rails 7 and have hit an issue with the bin/Dev script mentioned on pages 112-113. Iteration A1 - Seeing the list of prod...
New
taguniversalmachine
It seems the second code snippet is missing the code to set the current_user: current_user: Accounts.get_user_by_session_token(session["...
New
EdBorn
Title: Agile Web Development with Rails 7: (page 70) I am running windows 11 pro with rails 7.0.3 and ruby 3.1.2p20 (2022-04-12 revision...
New
redconfetti
Docker-Machine became part of the Docker Toolbox, which was deprecated in 2020, long after Docker Desktop supported Docker Engine nativel...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
New
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Get the comprehensive, insider information you need for Rails 8 with the new edition of this award-winning classic. Sam Ruby @rubys ...
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New

Sub Categories: