DevotionGeo

DevotionGeo

Can I use text from Project Gutenberg with or without attribution in an online training I charge people for?

I’m currently creating notes for an online training. I want to use something better than lorem ipsum in this training. Can I use text from Project Gutenberg in a training for which I will charge the attendees?

Most Liked

gdinwiddie

gdinwiddie

Author of Software Estimation Without Guessing

Project Gutenberg makes the terms pretty clear here. Without knowing the material or the use, I can’t say for sure, but Project Gutenberg says “The vast majority of Project Gutenberg eBooks are in the public domain in the US. This means that nobody can grant, or withhold, permission to do with this item as you please.”

AstonJ

AstonJ

In what context DG? You couldn’t pass it off as your own work if that’s what you mean.

If you mean placeholder text then I would say just use Lorem ipsum - the reason why it’s used is because it has no meaning - so isn’t distracting :023:

DevotionGeo

DevotionGeo

Thank you @gdinwiddie! :slight_smile:

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
Which screen resolutions do you frequently use? Note: not the resolution the display is capable of mind, but the resolution you’re using...
New
justinjunodev
Figured this would be a cool topic and maybe provide some inspiration for those who are just starting to work from home. Feel free to sha...
New
AstonJ
If so, what was the last blog post you wrote… and if not, why not?
New
chasekaylee
Just like the title says :smiley: which courses you find that have had the most impact in the span of your career as a developer?
New
mafinar
I always start with excitement and then get busy on 9/10th day. This year, like the year before this, and the year before that, I intend ...
New
AstonJ
Things like smart speakers (such Amazon Alexa), smart TVs or other devices with built in microphones, cameras or with other features that...
New
Exadra37
A modern streaming platform for mission critical workloads Redpanda is a Kafka® compatible event streaming platform. No Zookeeper®, no JV...
New
AstonJ
Just wondering whether you have a preference (I know I do!) poll
New
AstonJ
I’ve been watching Prag Dave’s Elixir course and I noticed he uses tree: Tree is a recursive directory listing program that produces a ...
New
Maartz
Hey, I love Regex, letting my kids slaming the keyboard until finding the good regex to do the job has always been a source of joy and p...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application. Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New