andreas-yin

andreas-yin

A Common-Sense Guide to Data Structures and Algorithms, Second Edition: Time Complexity for Intersection Function (page 93)

@jaywengrow

I have noticed a mistake regarding the best-case scenario time complexity for the intersection function described on p. 92/93:

function intersection(firstArray, secondArray) {
let result = [];
for (let i = 0; i < firstArray.length; i++) {
for (let j = 0; j < secondArray.length; j++) {
if (firstArray[i] === secondArray[j]) {
result.push(firstArray[i]);
break;
}
}
}
return result;
}

In the case of a best-case scenario, i.e. with two arrays being identical, the parapgrah says we’d only have to perform N comparisons.

But when you have two identical arrays, e.g. [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10], the inner loop would still have to start at index 0 for every value of the outer loop. So when the outer loop reaches the number 10, the inner loop would still have to compare this number 10 with 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 before it gets to the number 10. So I figured the number of comparisons would be calculated as follows:
1 + 2 + 3 + … + (N-1) comparisons, which is approximately N² / 2 comparisons

Therefore, the time complexity should be O(N² / 2) instead of O(N).

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

telemachus
Python Testing With Pytest - Chapter 2, warnings for “unregistered custom marks” While running the smoke tests in Chapter 2, I get these...
New
New
swlaschin
The book has the same “Problem space/Solution space” diagram on page 18 as is on page 17. The correct Problem/Solution space diagrams ar...
New
brian-m-ops
#book-python-testing-with-pytest-second-edition Hi. Thanks for writing the book. I am just learning so this might just of been an issue ...
New
jskubick
I think I might have found a problem involving SwitchCompat, thumbTint, and trackTint. As entered, the SwitchCompat changes color to hol...
New
jgchristopher
“The ProductLive.Index template calls a helper function, live_component/3, that in turn calls on the modal component. ” Excerpt From: Br...
New
jskubick
I’m under the impression that when the reader gets to page 136 (“View Data with the Database Inspector”), the code SHOULD be able to buil...
New
digitalbias
Title: Build a Weather Station with Elixir and Nerves: Problem connecting to Postgres with Grafana on (page 64) If you follow the defau...
New
jwandekoken
Book: Programming Phoenix LiveView, page 142 (157/378), file lib/pento_web/live/product_live/form_component.ex, in the function below: d...
New
EdBorn
Title: Agile Web Development with Rails 7: (page 70) I am running windows 11 pro with rails 7.0.3 and ruby 3.1.2p20 (2022-04-12 revision...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
PragmaticBookshelf
Tailwind CSS is an exciting new CSS framework that allows you to design your site by composing simple utility classes to create complex e...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code. ...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New

Sub Categories: