hayashi
A Common-Sense Guide to Data Structures and Algorithms by Jay Wengrow. Linked List Insertion method
@jaywengrow
A Common-Sense Guide to Data Structures and Algorithms - insertion at wrong index (page 140)
I tested the example of a linked list insertion method on page 140 (2017 edition):
class Node
attr_accessor :data, :next_node
def initialize(data)
@data = data
end
end
class LinkedList
attr_accessor :first_node
# rest of code omitted here...
def insert_at_index(index, value)
current_node = first_node
current_index = 0
# First, we find the index immediately before where the new node will go:
while current_index < index do
current_node = current_node.next_node
current_index += 1
end
# We create the new node:
new_node = Node.new(value)
new_node.next_node = current_node.next_node
# We modify the link of the previous node to point to our new node:
current_node.next_node = new_node
end
end
The method seems to be inserting a new node after the provided index, e.g.
node_1 = Node.new("once")
node_2 = Node.new("upon")
node_1.next_node = node_2
node_3 = Node.new("a")
node_2.next_node = node_3
node_4 = Node.new("time")
node_3.next_node = node_4
list = LinkedList.new(node_1) # 0. "once" 1. "upon" 2. "a" 3. "time"
list.insert_at_index(3, "beautiful") # 0 "once" 1. "upon" 2. "a" 3. "time" 4. "beautiful"
Shouldn’t the while loop be while current_index < index-1 instead?
Thank you for the brilliant book anyway @jaywengrow . It’s a great learning resource!
First Post!
jaywengrow
Author of A Common-Sense Guide to Data Structures and Algorithms
Thanks for this! You are correct, and this has indeed been fixed in the Second Edition of the book.
Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics
Title: Design and Build Great Web APIs - typo “https://company-atk.herokuapp.com/2258ie4t68jv” (page 19, third bullet in URL list)
Typo:...
New
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, pg 116
Hi - I just started chapter 5 and I am stuck on page 116 while trying to star...
New
This isn’t directly about the book contents so maybe not the right forum…but in some of the code apps (e.g. turbo/06) it sends a TURBO_ST...
New
Hi, I have just acquired Michael Fazio’s “Kotlin and Android Development” to learn about game programming for Android. I have a game in p...
New
I’m not quite sure what’s going on here, but I’m unable to have to containers successfully complete the Readiness/Liveness checks. I’m im...
New
Hey there,
I’m enjoying this book and have learned a few things alredayd. However, in Chapter 4 I believe we are meant to see the “>...
New
The markup used to display the uploaded image results in a Phoenix.LiveView.HTMLTokenizer.ParseError error.
lib/pento_web/live/product_l...
New
Hi all,
currently I wonder how the Tailwind colours work (or don’t work).
For example, in app/views/layouts/application.html.erb I have...
New
When running the program in chapter 8, “Implementing Combat”, the printout Health before attack was never printed so I assumed something ...
New
Docker-Machine became part of the Docker Toolbox, which was deprecated in 2020, long after Docker Desktop supported Docker Engine nativel...
New
Other popular topics
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
The V Programming Language
Simple language for building maintainable programs
V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework.
Brian Okken @brianokken
Edited by Kat...
New
Author Spotlight
Jamis Buck
@jamis
This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
Big O Notation can make your code faster by orders of magnitude. Get the hands-on info you need to master data structures and algorithms ...
New
Jan | Rethink the Computer.
Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
Get the comprehensive, insider information you need for Rails 8 with the new edition of this award-winning classic.
Sam Ruby @rubys
...
New
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework.
Miguel Gr...
New
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New
Latest in A Common-Sense Guide to Data Structures and Algorithms, Second Edition
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Popular Portals
- /elixir
- /rust
- /wasm
- /ruby
- /erlang
- /phoenix
- /keyboards
- /python
- /js
- /rails
- /security
- /go
- /swift
- /vim
- /java
- /clojure
- /typescript
- /emacs
- /haskell
- /svelte
- /onivim
- /kotlin
- /react
- /c-plus-plus
- /crystal
- /tailwind
- /gleam
- /ocaml
- /elm
- /vscode
- /flutter
- /html
- /ash
- /deepseek
- /zig
- /opensuse
- /centos
- /php
- /react-native
- /scala
- /lisp
- /sublime-text
- /textmate
- /nixos
- /debian
- /agda
- /deno
- /django
- /kubuntu
- /arch-linux
- /nodejs
- /ubuntu
- /spring
- /revery
- /manjaro
- /julia
- /quarkus
- /diversity
- /lua
- /laravel









