paolotormon

paolotormon

A Common-Sense Guide to Data Structures and Algorithms, Second Edition: Quickselect In Python (page 221)

Hi, I am trying to convert the ruby code of Quickselect into python and I noticed that I have to add return statements in the if else conditions like so

def partition(left_p, right_p, arr=[]):

    pivot_index = right_p

    pivot = arr[pivot_index]

    right_p -= 1

    while True:

        while arr[left_p] < pivot:

            left_p += 1

        while arr[right_p] > pivot:

            right_p -= 1

        if left_p >= right_p:

            break

        else:

            arr[left_p], arr[right_p] = arr[right_p], arr[left_p]

            left_p += 1

    arr[left_p], arr[pivot_index] = arr[pivot_index], arr[left_p]

    return left_p

def quickselect(kth_lowest_value, left_index, right_index, arr=[]):

    print(arr)

    if right_index - left_index <= 0:

        return arr[left_index]

    pivot_index = partition(left_index, right_index, arr)

    if kth_lowest_value < pivot_index:

        return quickselect(kth_lowest_value, left_index, pivot_index-1, arr)

    elif kth_lowest_value > pivot_index:

        return quickselect(kth_lowest_value, pivot_index+1, right_index, arr)

    else:

        print(f"item = {arr[pivot_index]}")

        return arr[pivot_index]

array = [200, 97, 100, 101, 211, 107, 63, 123, 11, 34]

index = quickselect(6, 0, len(array)-1, array)

print(index)

In the book version written in Ruby, there “return” is only in “return @array[pivot_index]”, so I think we either remove the return or also put returns on the statements after the other conditionals. Unedited code below:

    attr_reader :array
    def initialize(array)
        @array = array
    end
    def quickselect!(kth_lowest_value, left_index, right_index)
        # If we reach a base case - that is, that the subarray has one cell,
        # we know we've found the value we're looking for:
        if right_index - left_index <= 0
            return @array[left_index]
        end
        # Partition the array and grab the index of the pivot:
        pivot_index = partition!(left_index, right_index)
        # If what we're looking for is to the left of the pivot:
        if kth_lowest_value < pivot_index
            # Recursively perform quickselect on the subarray to
            # the left of the pivot:
            return quickselect!(kth_lowest_value, left_index, pivot_index - 1)
            # If what we're looking for is to the right of the pivot:
        elsif kth_lowest_value > pivot_index
            # Recursively perform quickselect on the subarray to
            # the right of the pivot:
            return quickselect!(kth_lowest_value, pivot_index + 1, right_index)
        else # if kth_lowest_value == pivot_index
            # if after the partition, the pivot position is in the same spot
            # as the kth lowest value, we've found the value we're looking for
            return @array[pivot_index]
        end
    end
    
    def partition!(left_pointer, right_pointer)
        # We always choose the right-most element as the pivot.
        # We keep the index of the pivot for later use:
        pivot_index = right_pointer
        # We grab the pivot value itself:
        pivot = @array[pivot_index]
        # We start the right pointer immediately to the left of the pivot
        right_pointer -= 1
        while true
            # Move the left pointer to the right as long as it
            # points to value that is less than the pivot:
            while @array[left_pointer] < pivot do
                left_pointer += 1
            end
            # Move the right pointer to the left as long as it
            # points to a value that is greater than the pivot:
            while @array[right_pointer] > pivot do
                right_pointer -= 1
            end
            # We've now reached the point where we've stopped
            # moving both the left and right pointers.
            # We check whether the left pointer has reached
            # or gone beyond the right pointer. If it has,
            # we break out of the loop so we can swap the pivot later
            # on in our code:
            if left_pointer >= right_pointer
                break
            # If the left pointer is still to the left of the right
            # pointer, we swap the values of the left and right pointers:
            else
                @array[left_pointer], @array[right_pointer] = @array[right_pointer], @array[left_pointer]
            # We move the left pointer over to the right, gearing up
            # for the next round of left and right pointer movements:
                left_pointer += 1
            end
        end
        # As the final step of the partition, we swap the value
        # of the left pointer with the pivot:
        @array[left_pointer], @array[pivot_index] = @array[pivot_index], @array[left_pointer]
        # We return the left_pointer for the sake of the quicksort method
        # which will appear later in this chapter:
        return left_pointer
    end
end



array = [0, 50, 20, 10, 60, 30]
sortable_array = SortableArray.new(array)
p sortable_array.quickselect!(5, 0, array.length - 1)

First Post!

jaywengrow

jaywengrow

Author of A Common-Sense Guide to Data Structures and Algorithms

Good point, thank you! This will be modified in a future version of the book.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

brianokken
Many tasks_proj/tests directories exist in chapters 2, 3, 5 that have tests that use the custom markers smoke and get, which are not decl...
New
raul
Hi Travis! Thank you for the cool book! :slight_smile: I made a list of issues and thought I could post them chapter by chapter. I’m rev...
New
patoncrispy
I’m new to Rust and am using this book to learn more as well as to feed my interest in game dev. I’ve just finished the flappy dragon exa...
New
AndyDavis3416
@noelrappin Running the webpack dev server, I receive the following warning: ERROR in tsconfig.json TS18003: No inputs were found in c...
New
curtosis
Running mix deps.get in the sensor_hub directory fails with the following error: ** (Mix) No SSH public keys found in ~/.ssh. An ssh aut...
New
hazardco
On page 78 the following code appears: &lt;%= link_to ‘Destroy’, product, class: ‘hover:underline’, method: :delete, data: { confirm...
New
rainforest
Hi, I’ve got a question about the implementation of PubSub when using a Phoenix.Socket.Transport behaviour rather than channels. Before ...
New
a.zampa
@mfazio23 I’m following the indications of the book and arriver ad chapter 10, but the app cannot be compiled due to an error in the Bas...
New
redconfetti
Docker-Machine became part of the Docker Toolbox, which was deprecated in 2020, long after Docker Desktop supported Docker Engine nativel...
New
roadbike
From page 13: On Python 3.7, you can install the libraries with pip by running these commands inside a Python venv using Visual Studio ...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
DevotionGeo
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application. Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New

Sub Categories: