AstonJ

AstonJ

Why didn't you get a Mac?

I know it’s generally down to personal preference, but those preferences can be interesting - and perhaps any misconceptions can be cleared up. So for those who didn’t get a Mac, why not?

(Cost is a perfectly valid reason btw - Apple hardware is expensive, and for many that cost is hard to justify… although I am sure many of us may help explain why that cost was justifiable to us…)

Most Liked

jaeyson

jaeyson

m1 thinkpads, how soon that would be?

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

I switched from Linux to Mac OSX when they started to use Darwin Kernel.

I liked the screen quality, user experience and longevity. I could keep my iMac for ten years without problem.

But it recently broke and fixing it is a nightmare :slight_smile: Not so user friendly when it comes to change internal components.

As I don’t use any Mac software, don’t play music, don’t edit video I am completely at ease on Linux, and will wait if new chipset is worth on desktop Mac too.

Exadra37

Exadra37

Well at work I was offered one and I refused it, I just asked for them to give me a machine for the platform I would be programming for.

So, I was doing on the time APIs in PHP to run in Linux servers, thus I got a Dell desktop where I installed Ubuntu 14.04 :slight_smile:

Another reason I reject Macs is because I hate being locked to a vendor.

I care about the quality of what I buy, and I usually buy in the high end band, provided I am not paying exorbitant prices for being from brand X. Also, I don’t pay for overpriced items just to get a little more quality, and it’s not a question of money for me, because I can buy easily a Mac, and after all I refused one at work.

I recognize that Macs seems to have the best image quality, but no way I will pay that overpriced values for it, be with Apple or any other brand, but maybe I would pay if I was a designer, photographer or video editor.

Where Next?

Popular Macos topics Top

MikhailPertsev
Hi there! I am a new iMac user (this is the first Apple’s product for me), and I am wondering should I update the mac OS system to the n...
New
MikhailPertsev
Hi there! I recently bought a new mouse pad (HyperX Fury) and it feels like without mouse pad the magic mouse is working better(smoother...
New
New
CommunityNews
Over the past decade, a large and opaque industry has been amassing increasing amounts of personal data.1,2 A complex ecosystem of websi...
New
AstonJ
I think we need a macOS rants thread - just for those little things that bug us :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: Feel free to start dedica...
New
AstonJ
Following this news: https://forum.devtalk.com/t/silver-sparrow-new-malware-found-on-30k-macs-has-security-pros-stumped/7241 just wondere...
New
AstonJ
Posting this for future reference :grin: Open Automater > New > Quick Action Change Workflow receives current to no input ...
New
AstonJ
Just noticed this after the latest macOS update (11.3.1) - you can now set a low res (non-retina/HiDPR) mode: Handy if you need a 1:1...
New
First poster: ohm
Q: PHP seems to be missing from this release. A: PHP has been removed in macOS Monterey. Details here: https://developer.apple.com/...
New
d1bg12
Hello, Apple developers! I want to upload an app to testflight, but I’m having the issue from the picture and I can’t get around it. Ha...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
As digital systems increasingly run the world, mastery of the recurring patterns of software development risk is the key to fast and effe...
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New