CommunityNews

CommunityNews

A Day in the Life of Your Data [pdf] (Apple)

Over the past decade, a large and opaque industry has been amassing increasing amounts of personal data.1,2

A complex ecosystem of websites, apps, social media companies, data brokers, and ad tech firms track users online and offline, harvesting their personal data. This data is pieced together, shared, aggregated, and monetized, fueling a $227 billion-a-year industry. This occurs everyday, as people go about their daily lives, often without their knowledge or permission.3,4 Let’s take a look at what this industry is able to learn about a father and daughter during a pleasant day spent at the park.

“I believe people are smart and some people want to share more data than other people do.

Ask them. Ask them every time. Make them tell you to stop asking them if they get tired of your asking them. Let them know precisely what you’re going to do with their data.”

Steve Jobs

All Things Digital Conference, 2010

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

First Post!

AstonJ

AstonJ

Haven’t had a chance to read this yet - but will be curious to see how it reflects on the recent complaints people have had about Apple ‘spying on them and their app use’.

Where Next?

Popular Macos topics Top

AstonJ
What was it? What language did you use? How did you find the experience?
New
AstonJ
Anyone else experience bugs with macOS? I have two that are annoying me… Every now and again after waking from sleep, Safari CPU cons...
New
First poster: bot
MacOS Nix Setup (an alternative to Homebrew). I recently got a new Macbook, and began setting up the Nix package manager to install my d...
New
AstonJ
Just over an hour to go… anyone going to be watching it? New Macs? :nerd_face:
New
New
MikhailPertsev
Hi there! I recently bought a new mouse pad (HyperX Fury) and it feels like without mouse pad the magic mouse is working better(smoother...
New
AstonJ
Just noticed this after the latest macOS update (11.3.1) - you can now set a low res (non-retina/HiDPR) mode: Handy if you need a 1:1...
New
AstonJ
New Macs look good! Tho I hate the notch - why does it have to be so big? Will be interested in seeing reviews of real world usage and w...
New
AstonJ
For anyone else who finds the large number of recent items annoying when right-clicking the finder icon on Mac, simply: System Prefs &gt...
New
d1bg12
Hello, Apple developers! I want to upload an app to testflight, but I’m having the issue from the picture and I can’t get around it. Ha...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New