rhcarvalho

rhcarvalho

Phoenix minor and patch version adoption

The Phoenix framework is notorious for its long term stability and dependability. Unlike most comparable projects, the Phoenix team actively supports four release series for security vulnerabilities (currently 1.5.x-1.8.x).

Backwards compatibility and the long support window reduces the incentives for migrating to a newer series. So, seven months after being released, what fraction of the ecosystem has 1.8.x reached? Where is 1.7.x at?

I explored the public download data from Hex.pm to get the answers, and also discovered how fast patch versions get picked up. Looking at recent security advisories, leaving production apps unpatched has tangible consequences.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

emoragaf
Hey all, I blogged about using pattern matching to replace conditional checks (post in Spanish)
New
ErlangSolutions
If you were unable to join us recently for Code Mesh V conference you can catch up with our full suite of talk videos, QandA sessions and...
New
Exadra37
https://nscrutables.medium.com/fbi-foia-response-sheds-new-light-on-infamous-hacktivist-pentagon-incident-a44a318b4a46 This piece will ...
New
timClicks
I published this post yesterday and thought that this community might appreciate it: To save you a click, here are the bulk of the adv...
New
SubeeTalks
Agent Workflows offer a solution to automate repetitive business tasks traditionally handled by knowledge workers, enhancing operational ...
New
chiroptical
I am a huge fan of functional programming and recently discovered the maybe expression in Erlang. In the blog post I show an example of c...
New
nataliefagundo
We’re excited to announce Custom Playgrounds, a developer-first way to loop colleagues into your LLM app development flow, accelerate ite...
New
lawik
One of the Erlang ecosystem’s spiciest nerd snipes are hot code updates. Because it can do it. In ways that almost no other runtime can.
New
chiroptical
Starting a series on lexing and LALR-1 parser generators using leex and yecc. The series is really focused on the “by example” part since...
New
kjwvanijk
This is Part 1 of my mini series integrating Phoenix Framework with Cardano. The first part is about setting up a phoenix application to...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
Rainer
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Lint your docs like code: turn any style guide into enforceable rules with Vale and publish clear, consistent content every time. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New