conwy

conwy

How do you find good ideas for projects - open-source or apps?

Caveat: Apologies in advance – I guess this topic has probably been done to death. But if it’s Ok to ask, I just want to try again and see if the popular thinking has changed recently or if someone might have a fresh or novel take on the topic.


I’ve been searching for ideas of open-source projects to either start or contribute to, or consumer apps to build, which might have a chance of getting some traction.

My goal is to improve my professional profile and develop skills beyond what I’m currently being hired to do. For example, develop better abilities around back-end development and scalable architecture.

Doing some market research, such as browsing the Apple App store and trying out various apps, or browsing Github profiles of various professionals, helps me to identify certain gaps.

However it’s very unclear how I would find actual users or consumers who are interested in using my product.

I guess that’s probably a well known challenge – getting people to adopt any kind of new habit, let alone download an app by some stranger, is going to be a hurdle.

But I’m just curious if anyone here has tried out any strategies or tactics for this. Please share if you like.

I’ll soon follow this up with a reply on what I’ve tried so far, and where I had some (albeit limited) success.

Most Liked

robin57

robin57

I usually find good project ideas by identifying real problems, exploring open-source repositories, and building apps that solve practical needs.

AstonJ

AstonJ

I’d say always follow your passion - do something you’re passionate about :023:

Donishak

Donishak

I used to overthink this a lot, but I found that the best ideas usually come from just being annoyed by something in my own workflow. A few months ago, I got tired of how messy my local documentation was, so I built a small CLI tool to auto-format it. It wasn’t “groundbreaking,” but because I actually used it every day, I stayed motivated to polish the code. If you’re looking for open source, I’ve had the best luck looking at the “Issues” tab of libraries I already use. Often there’s a small bug or a requested helper function that’s been sitting there for months. It’s way less pressure than starting from scratch, and you get that instant feedback loop from other contributors, which keeps it interesting. Just build something that saves you ten minutes a week; you’ll be surprised how many other people have the exact same frustration.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

Jase
Any opinions on the best platform for dev-friendly blogging?
New
Kurisu
You can go directly to the last paragraph of this post to read about my concern. I was trying Git submodules then found the above po...
New
AstonJ
I really like our #general-developer-forum:in-the-news section and am wondering whether we could automate some of the cross-posting of th...
New
harwind
Consider the following bits of code: void foo(const int i) // First foo { std::cout << "First " << i << endl; } vo...
New
PaulMartin
Hey everyone! Do you have any tips or free resources that can help me learn Rspec? Although I know how to write some Rspec, I’m not very...
New
thetoaderseventytwo
I’ve been trying to dip my feet into using Unity and C# for the sake of developing games, however, I have barely any knowledge of how to ...
New
jaeyson
Is Rust still good to learn? Last time (ages ago) I heard there was changes made by the foundation. If not, is Go suitable for api and w...
New
harwind
Given an array of integers, find the length of the longest increasing subsequence. A subsequence is a sequence that can be derived from a...
New
jaeyson
Hi! I received an email from shopperapproved.com, I’ll copy-pasta here: Hi , Would you be willing to help future Manning.com customers...
New
johnnaa
Hey everyone, I’ve been looking for the best standing desk lately because I’m tired of sitting all day working from home. i read reviews...
New

Other popular topics Top

Exadra37
Please tell us what is your preferred monitor setup for programming(not gaming) and why you have chosen it. Does your monitor have eye p...
New
Rainer
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build highly interactive applications without ever leaving Elixir, the way the experts do. Let LiveView take care of performance, scalabi...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New