AstonJ

AstonJ

What needs fixing in the digital sphere?

What do you think needs fixing in the digital / computer science sphere?

Most Liked

Korbin73

Korbin73

Software languages as a whole. Being a developer this may sound strange to say because I obviously love building software, but. I have been doing this for 20 years and while I would like to say a lot has changed it really doesn’t seem like it. Just looking at the history of languages, the timeline of events feels as though we have made very little progress. The summary of the timeline seems as though it goes like this:

  1. Lisp was created: What a HUGE breakthrough. It was a language with garbage collector, based on lambda calculus which basically meant that it had a 50 year history before it’s invention. And what’s the sad part… well lisp was and still is the only language that really follows the “code is data” tenet which pretty much makes it more like building material where you can change the language to meet your needs. This is lost in most languages, and certainly any language created by a vendor makes extension insanely hard.
  2. Smalltalk: Another big breakthrough for it’s time. OO was truly manifested as Alan Kay’s vision. And it was a completly interactive environment.
  3. C++: It was C with classes bases on the misunderstanding of what OO means when Alan Kay coined the term LOL. Now, pretty much every OO curly brace language has a strong influence from a language that uses a construct that was misunderstood.
  4. Javacript, C#, Java and pretty much every popular language used today: Brandon Eich was supposed to build javascript based on scheme until it was hijacked and made into what it is today. C#, Java, and many other curly braced language OO language language was pretty much recommended not to use inheritance LOL. The biggest reason to use the language, is now not the preferred way to program. So we are right back to the original paradigm of lisp (functional) in the 1960s of functions separate from data with modules.

Ok, I got a bit too long-winded. But, over the last 60 years we have seen very little progress in languages. One would even argue that we spent the last 3 decades validating that the misunderstood OO paradigm didn’t really meet our needs. What I want:

  1. Declarative languages - I shouldn’t have to tell the computer how to do it, just what to do
  2. Interactivity - I write something and can get immediate feed data to it like SmallTalk could (or the modern day repl) or instantly see the UI update as a I build it.
  3. Extensibility - I waited 15 years for certain features to be added to C#, and finally just moved to a different language because the language doesn’t provide an accessible way to extend it.
    While there are languages that fit some or most of this criteria, the ones that do aren’t mainstream.
Korbin73

Korbin73

Hah, unison is the perfect example of hitting all those points that I touched on that I want (declarative, interactive, extensibiltiy, etc). However, widespread adoption for a language that started as a research language has only happen once, Python. But hopefully, the expectations that I want in mainstream languages will be met before I retire in 20 years :stuck_out_tongue:

AstonJ

AstonJ

IMAGES!!!

I hope one day photographs can be easily traced back to the source - helping prevent identify thieves from being able to take other people’s photos or media outlets using other people’s images without their consent, etc.

Perhaps the creators of Shazam have some thoughts!

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
In your opinion which programming languages are simple to use and easy to get started wither those who don’t have a computer science bac...
New
chasekaylee
Hi everyone! I have been in the professional industry for ~2 years now coming from a boot camp. I started a base foundation by programmin...
New
Exadra37
Cloudflare as workers to run serverless code without using containers: So it seems that Isolates is based on: What we ended up settl...
New
AstonJ
Just wondering whether you have a preference (I know I do!) poll
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
OvermindDL1
Maybe we need a thread of hosting providers we like and for what reasons. I personally like OVH, they are a very low level host (they re...
New
Exadra37
Your users of the two forums are spread across the world, thus I am curious how did you solved it?
New
AstonJ
Thought this would be a nice way to start the year - have you seen or written a function (or method) or piece of code that you are partic...
New
New
AntonRich
I don’t know what happened today. But I just started reading SICP which I meant to do for a long time. The book itself: I’m not even s...
New

Other popular topics Top

DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
AstonJ
We’ve talked about his book briefly here but it is quickly becoming obsolete - so he’s decided to create a series of 7 podcasts, the firs...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Fight complexity and reclaim the original spirit of agility by learning to simplify how you develop software. The result: a more humane a...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Woke up to this today: Claude Code’s complete source code exposed via npm source map. Not a snippet. All 512,000 lines. 1,900 TypeScript ...
New