leamas

leamas

Newbie: macos: pkgbuild: incompatible version

Dear forum,

New on macos. Need to create a .pkg file on the command line. The tooling seems to be pkgbuild(1) and productbuild(1). My problem is that while I can create .pkg files both using pkgbuild and productbuild and also install them any attempt to start the application fails with a You can’t use this version of the application “OpenCPN” with this version of MacOS. You have MacOS 10.15.7, the application requires MacOS 12.0 or later.

The message is bogus, application is built with 10.15 compatibility level and works fine if started from the command line.

I have tried adding the LSMinimunSystemVersion key to Info.plist before running pkgbuild. The key is available in the installed package, but no change.

Have also tried to add the allowed-os-versions to a distribution file and feed it into productbuild. Same result, it requires 12.0 and refuses to start from GUI.

Any hints out there?

Most Liked

leamas

leamas

So, answering myself.

On Xcode 14.2.0, perhaps somewhat earlier, pkgbuild has an option –min-os-version which does the job.

Otherwise, my theory is that pkgbuild looks into the bundled code including dependencies and uses the lowest link level available in all of them, which in my case is 12. And there is just no way around this without the option available in 14.2.0.

Where Next?

Popular Macos topics Top

AstonJ
When I purchased this Mac it was fast. However some months on and it is noticeably slower now, and where I notice it most is on starting ...
New
AstonJ
I’m not sure if this is a Big Sur issue or whether I’ve just noticed it, but on looking at my hard drive usage it says I have used 465.0...
New
siddhant3030
I have a new MacBook Pro which I’m connecting to an external monitor. I know why it is heating but I want to know if anyone having the sa...
New
DevotionGeo
Since we’re talking about Mac, which of the filesystems should I use on an external hard drive (non-SSD), which I’ll be using with my Mac...
New
abhimohata
I am intending to show an alert message in macOS through a C++ based application. I am using CFUserNotificationDisplayAlert for the same....
New
dav
I’m searching for a tool that can (anonymously) collect crash reports from users of my macOS app (not iOS). Previously I used Fabric whic...
New
devovipul
I have JAR application ready. i have apple account also. Please give me steps to signed app upload i try But getting error as below : A...
New
leamas
Dear forum, New on macos. Need to create a .pkg file on the command line. The tooling seems to be pkgbuild(1) and productbuild(1). My pr...
New
BadPistol97
I am trying to draw NSPanels on texts of other apps using AXObserverAddNotification with the attribute of kAXValueChangedNotification on ...
New
WillKuo
For my iOS e2e test, sometimes the test is blocked by the Mac pop-up window alert. The possible pop-up as follows: Java Access Pop-up ...
New

Other popular topics Top

DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
AstonJ
Or looking forward to? :nerd_face:
503 15149 280
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
AstonJ
We’ve talked about his book briefly here but it is quickly becoming obsolete - so he’s decided to create a series of 7 podcasts, the firs...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New