mollyerin

mollyerin

Can I use Linux for gaming?

Which operating system should I choose for gaming? I’ve been using Windows since I started, but now I’m wondering about switching to Lunix.

Is Lunix better than Windows for gaming?

Most Liked

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

I’ve been linux exclusive since 2006, dual booted before.
Linux plays almost everything perfectly now except those with the nasty kernel-virus-style-drm stuff (which is surprisingly rare, most DRM’s work fine, it’s just those few garbage ones, and I won’t support companies that use that garbage anyway even if I were using windows), and it especially plays older stuff better than windows itself does, by a large margin in surprisingly many cases.

But just get a Steamdeck, lol, you can hook it up to a monitor and all and use it like a desktop, but it’s all set up and optimized for linux gaming already.

Reinis

Reinis

If your game library is on Steam, then you can enable Proton compatibility for all games, and most of the games will play just fine. Including recent AAA games, like Starfield and Baldur’s Gate 3. If you run into any issues, just search through the ProtonDB.

Maartz

Maartz

Hey,

I used to use Manjaro for gaming since it has a very good support for it.
Also you can try Pop_OS!.

With Lutris you can play almost any games. I used to play GTAV etc.
I also used GWE to over clock my GPU.

And with the help of Proton DB you can check the support of your favorite game on Linux.

What a thrilling period right?

Where Next?

Popular Game Dev topics Top

mollyerin
Which operating system should I choose for gaming? I’ve been using Windows since I started, but now I’m wondering about switching to Luni...
New
Intelligent_Chip_641
I published a game with AdMob monetization back in November, and I was making $35 per day. However, two days ago, I received a notificati...
New
HuntzUdwn
Hello everyone, I am a Student at CSUDH and was wondering about how to become a game developer. I would like to contact a developer and a...
New
SuperGibaLogan
im working on a game on godot and im using a tutorial to code it however, one of the code in the tutorial im using only works in godot 4...
New
Enoch_Kouichi
How i implement the programming syntax in 2D game sense? like mecanics, enemies, itens, weapons, resources, game power-ups, and money in-...
New
lucianoghetti
Hello, I’m a Bachelor Student in Informatics at Ecole Schulz in Geneva. I’m conducting a project on Artificial Intelligence in the Videog...
New
Cheeren
Hello. I am developing a game with Unity. I have a problem that I can’t solve. It doesn’t matter if it is 3D or 2D, the edges of the obje...
New
Huzi
I’ve been studying the mechanics behind Block Blast–style puzzle games, and I’m curious about the best approaches for developing one for ...
New
pixel
I would like to learn unreal engine to make my first game. It is going to be a top down 3d game like 1997 Grand Theft Auto. What would th...
New
dveloper
Do you guys know what coding launguage I should start with for game dev?
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Tailwind CSS is an exciting new CSS framework that allows you to design your site by composing simple utility classes to create complex e...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New