HuntzUdwn

HuntzUdwn

How to become a developer

Hello everyone, I am a Student at CSUDH and was wondering about how to become a game developer. I would like to contact a developer and ask hands on questions about where to begin and how you have been able to be where you are today. please reach me if you can help! thank you

Most Liked

Dhanen

Dhanen

In addition to AstonJ’s said, there’s some websites such like “Codewars” where you can improve in any language you want to develop games. I suggest C# on Unity, but Python (despite I hate due a bad person self-proclaimed professor) I need to learn it and with a few days I improved it a lot and I am starting hating it less.
When you feel comfortable, start doing mini games (I did a Simon Says for Android, Star Wars inspired). And then keep doing more complex games I am doing Visual Novel with puzzles and investigations like Ace Attorney but there is a lot to learn for me so it’s unfinished.
Good Luck and hope we said you helps!

Eiji

Eiji

I would say that the most important thing to have is a strong intuition. I for example am terrible learning natural languages. While of course I’m doing my best for the work, everyday life outside country I’ve borned and so on, still I’m not trying to push myself too far.

I’ve heard that many people have a switcher making even their dreams being in different one than the first language. It may sound completely useless in daily life, but I don’t have such a switcher and I can see it’s consequences. I need to think in my primary language and translate everything in background - that’s why I often forgot about using a, an and the before words as in my primary language those have simply no equivalents. I may speak English, I may pass interview or not, I may live in other country, but I would somehow never feel comfortable and my talk would not be the smoothest one.

That’s why I think that intuition is the most important one. Secondly you have to do things that you like as things like experience would came anyway in future. As it was already said you need to practice a lot, but again it’s not a problem if you have intuition and you like thing you work on.

NareshJuego

NareshJuego

Start by learning the basics of game development through online courses or tutorials. Familiarize yourself with game engines like Unity or Unreal Engine, and explore fundamental concepts in programming and game design. Practice by creating small projects to build your skills gradually.

Where Next?

Popular Game Dev topics Top

ksspeedstar
For about two weeks we have had the problem that Google / Android are rejecting apps for updates with the following statement: We found...
New
mollyerin
Which operating system should I choose for gaming? I’ve been using Windows since I started, but now I’m wondering about switching to Luni...
New
Intelligent_Chip_641
I published a game with AdMob monetization back in November, and I was making $35 per day. However, two days ago, I received a notificati...
New
Dhanen
Hi all. New here. I tried do it by myself and searching help in forums but no luck… Hope I can found it here in a specialized forum. My...
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
SuperGibaLogan
im working on a game on godot and im using a tutorial to code it however, one of the code in the tutorial im using only works in godot 4...
New
lingo1357
I have developed an initial plan for a simple and addictive physics game using a new engine I’ve learned. While I can envision various ph...
New
Huzi
I’ve been studying the mechanics behind Block Blast–style puzzle games, and I’m curious about the best approaches for developing one for ...
New
BlobDev
Hi, so i know that python is a better first language but I read that it’s not mainly used for game development so I wondered if c# was be...
New
dveloper
Do you guys know what coding launguage I should start with for game dev?
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write Elixir tests that you can be proud of. Dive into Elixir’s test philosophy and gain mastery over the terminology and concepts that u...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
husaindevelop
Inside our android webview app, we are trying to paste the copied content from another app eg (notes) using navigator.clipboard.readtext ...
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New