SmithyTT

SmithyTT

Ex Facebook data scientist's damaging whistleblower interview

Doesnt tell us anything we didn’t already know but well worth a watch!!

Most Liked

AstonJ

AstonJ

Most of them are as bad as each other and maybe it’s to do with culture here in the West (where profit/making money seems to be the most important thing to so many people/companies).

Funnily enough it’s a Chinese company that is showing everyone how it should be done - TikTok! I very very very rarely see hate on that platform, in fact I am almost always left smiling or laughing - the Tiktok community is so creative and funny (and generally, nice!)

It’s not without problems of course (it’s too addictive for a start! :lol:) but it’s definitely a refreshing change from all the hate and negativity you see elsewhere.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Yeah entirely agree, every issue about facebook seems to stem from its culture around the company…

That’s because china is super crazy authoritarian. Try to post something pro about taiwan and look at how fast your video vanishes too. :wink:

AstonJ

AstonJ

Haha, or it could just be that they want to focus on positivity?

Although I do wonder the feeds of those interested in more hateful stuff is full of more hateful stuff. Maybe they’ve found that they’ll do whatever it takes to grow - so I wouldn’t trust any of them as far as I could throw them :lol:

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
The obligatory speed test thread :smiley: Check here: https://www.speedtest.net When complete, click on the share link and copy and pas...
New
AstonJ
I just watched this: (tldr: remove bad choices so you don’t need to use willpower) It got me thinking about ways to incre...
New
axelson
Can anyone recommend a tmux session switcher? I’ve used https://github.com/siadat/session-finder in the past but it’s not very actively m...
New
AstonJ
Inspired by this tweet by @dasdom Even if you take out all the damage being done by humans, our planet has about 50B years before bein...
New
chasekaylee
Hi there! I have some old Bose in ear noise cancelling headphones that have worked like a champ for the past 3 years and was maybe due fo...
New
jss
What do people think about Data-Oriented Programming, like this book tackles? https://www.manning.com/books/data-oriented-programming Ho...
New
dwaynebradley
For those that are interested, Snyk (developer security tool) announced support for Elixir earlier this week: Just thought I’d pass it...
New
New
jaeyson
Hi!, hope everyone’s ok. Sorry if this question is ambiguous (i’ll remove this if i break some rules here). This is more like a self-ques...
New
harwind
I’m developing a web-based application that uses Java servlets to make RPC calls. I’m searching for a solid technique to dispatch and ha...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Tailwind CSS is an exciting new CSS framework that allows you to design your site by composing simple utility classes to create complex e...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use WebRTC to build web applications that stream media and data in real time directly from one user to another, all in the browser. ...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New