pgmcdonnell

pgmcdonnell

Engineering Elixir Applications: JPperf workaround clarification (page 144)

Thanks for the excellent book @elliefairholm and @Gilacost , really well paced and clearly written.

One small suggestion: I think it would be useful to make clear that both the builder and runner need to have the ENV ERL_FLAGS="+JPperf true" in the Dockerfile for the multi-architecture builds to complete sucessfully.

Most Liked

Gilacost

Gilacost

Author of Engineering Elixir Applications

Thank you for your kind words, @pgmcdonnell! We really appreciate your feedback and are glad you’re enjoying the book.

Regarding the ERL_FLAGS="+JPperf true" flag, it’s only required during the build stage and specifically for multi-architecture builds. It’s not needed in the runner stage. I don’t want to spoil the later chapters, but as you progress, you’ll deploy prebuilt images that we create daily for these platforms:

platforms: linux/arm64,linux/amd64

You can verify that the runner stage does not include this ENV flag by inspecting the image with whaler:

❯ whaler ghcr.io/beamops/kanban
Analyzing ghcr.io/beamops/kanban
Docker Version: 27.4.0
GraphDriver: overlayfs
Environment Variables
|PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
|LANG=en_US.UTF-8
|LANGUAGE=en_US:en
|LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
|MIX_ENV=prod

Image user
|User is root

Potential secrets:
unable to parse history from json file

This image is used in later chapters, and if you want to test it, here’s what you need to do:

Running the Kanban app locally

1. Start PostgreSQL

If you don’t have a running PostgreSQL instance, you can spin one up with Docker:

❯ docker run -d --name postgres-container   -e POSTGRES_PASSWORD=postgres   -p 5432:5432   postgres:latest

2. Find your local IP

Since Docker networking can sometimes cause issues, you may need your local IP to connect from the Elixir container. On macOS (if using Wi-Fi), you can retrieve it with:

❯ ipconfig getifaddr en0

If you’re on Ethernet, replace en0 with the correct interface.

3. Run the Kanban app

Use the obtained IP to set up the DATABASE_URL when running the container:

❯ docker run   -e "DATABASE_URL=ecto://postgres:postgres@192.168.1.178:5432/postgres"   -e "SECRET_KEY_BASE=oQGFFW50gMjfoKx5Naa2C1Ks9aN2rX41wNB9zm9c8ykc54/X06zvRF0lt9UReNbe"   -p 4000:4000   ghcr.io/beamops/kanban:non-distributed

4. Access the app

Visit http://localhost:4000 in your browser, and you should see the Kanban login page.

By the way, I see you’re in the UK—are you based in London, near Clapham by any chance? Would love to meet up at a pub sometime to chat about this or any other Elixir topics!

Cheers,
Pep

pgmcdonnell

pgmcdonnell

Hi @Gilacost :wave:,

Thanks for the detailed reply and I can see you’re totally right. As I was working though this section I was getting consistent failures during the apt-get dependency installation step for arm64 architecture immediately after targeting multi-architecture.

Adding the +JPperf environment variable into the Dockerfile was a little bit of a speculative fix and it seemed to resolve the issue.

However, looking at the history of my ci_cd.yaml file I can see my failing pipeline was caused by a typo in my platforms config. If only amd64 and arm64 weren’t so similar :person_facepalming:.

All fixed now, and really enjoying pressing on with the book!

Thanks for the pub invite: I’m based up in Scotland but may have some London travel so I’ll message you on LinkedIn!

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jamis
The following is cross-posted from the original Ray Tracer Challenge forum, from a post by garfieldnate. I’m cross-posting it so that the...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-On Rust (Chapter 11: prefab) Just played a couple of amulet-less games. With a bit of debugging, I believe that your can_p...
New
lirux
Hi Jamis, I think there’s an issue with a test on chapter 6. I own the ebook, version P1.0 Feb. 2019. This test doesn’t pass for me: ...
New
JohnS
I can’t setup the Rails source code. This happens in a working directory containing multiple (postgres) Rails apps. With: ruby-3.0.0 s...
New
adamwoolhether
When trying to generate the protobuf .go file, I receive this error: Unknown flag: --go_opt libprotoc 3.12.3 MacOS 11.3.1 Googling ...
New
jskubick
I think I might have found a problem involving SwitchCompat, thumbTint, and trackTint. As entered, the SwitchCompat changes color to hol...
New
adamwoolhether
I’m not quite sure what’s going on here, but I’m unable to have to containers successfully complete the Readiness/Liveness checks. I’m im...
New
taguniversalmachine
It seems the second code snippet is missing the code to set the current_user: current_user: Accounts.get_user_by_session_token(session["...
New
creminology
Skimming ahead, much of the following is explained in Chapter 3, but new readers (like me!) will hit a roadblock in Chapter 2 with their ...
New
Keton
When running the program in chapter 8, “Implementing Combat”, the printout Health before attack was never printed so I assumed something ...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Quickly turn complex problems into simple, working solutions using functional programming, safe concurrency, and the expressive tools of ...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New

Latest in Engineering Elixir Applications

Engineering Elixir Applications Portal ❯

Sub Categories: