justincalleja

justincalleja

Engineering Elixir Applications: ERROR: build failed

Installing the mentioned version of erlang gave me issues (I also tried with some other versions in 26.2…)

❯ asdf install erlang 26.2.1

ERROR: 'asdf_26.2.1' is not a kerl-managed Erlang/OTP installation.
Build 'asdf_26.2.1' has been deleted.
Extracting source code for normal build...
Building (normal) Erlang/OTP 26.2.1 (asdf_26.2.1); please wait...
Initializing (build) log file at /Users/justincalleja/.asdf/plugins/erlang/kerl-home/builds/asdf_26.2.1/otp_build_26.2.1.log.
Attempting to use Homebrew OpenSSL from /opt/homebrew/opt/openssl@3.0...
WARNING: ... you may have to brew the expected version or otherwise use --with-ssl
APPLICATIONS DISABLED (See: /Users/justincalleja/.asdf/plugins/erlang/kerl-home/builds/asdf_26.2.1/otp_build_26.2.1.log)
 * odbc           : ODBC library - link check failed

DOCUMENTATION INFORMATION (See: /Users/justincalleja/.asdf/plugins/erlang/kerl-home/builds/asdf_26.2.1/otp_build_26.2.1.log)
 * documentation  :
 *                  fop is missing.
 *                  Using fakefop to generate placeholder PDF files.

ERROR: build failed.
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/usr/include/netinet/in.h:657:10: fatal error: cannot open file '/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/usr/include/netinet6/in6.h': Too many open files
  657 | #include <netinet6/in6.h>
      |          ^
1 error generated.
make[4]: *** [obj/aarch64-apple-darwin23.6.0/opt/jit/beam_asm_module.o] Error 1
make[4]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[3]: *** [opt] Error 2
make[2]: *** [opt] Error 2
make[1]: *** [jit] Error 2
make: *** [emulator] Error 2

Please see /Users/justincalleja/.asdf/plugins/erlang/kerl-home/builds/asdf_26.2.1/otp_build_26.2.1.log for full details.
Auto cleaning all artifacts except the log file...
(use KERL_AUTOCLEAN=0 to keep build on failure, if desired)
Cleaning up compilation products for 'asdf_26.2.1' under:
  - /Users/justincalleja/.asdf/plugins/erlang/kerl-home/builds...
  - /Users/justincalleja/.asdf/downloads/erlang/26.2.1...
... done.

To overcome this, I had to:
ulimit -n 4096

to increase open file limits… might have helped but I also:
❯ brew install autoconf wxmac openssl@1.1 fop

with some issue with openssl@1.1

Anyway asdf list erlang lists it now and i could install the rest with asdf install and the tools version file.

Most Liked

alvinkatojr

alvinkatojr

@justincalleja for security reasons, openss1@1.1 is no longer recommended at this point. You can and should install openssl@3 instead via Homebrew i.e brew install openssl3 and add the following to your zshrc or bash file:

export PATH="$(brew --prefix openssl@3)/bin:$PATH"

This ensures that openssl3 is used for all apps/programs that require openssl.

The Homebrew versions will always be picked up by default unless you do something about it, which is why we used ASDF.

I used to have Homebrew versions of Elixir and Erlang when I started out but deleted them after I got used to asdf. They really have serve no purpose unless used as dependencies for something like RabbitMQ which for now you don’t need.

My suggestion would be to uninstall those versions, then install Elixir and Erlang versions using ASDF like you have. Then you can set global and local versions of both using the following examples. The ASDF versions will then be picked up automatically without any hitches.

Use this to set the global version of Elixir and Erlang that will be used automatically when you type iex or erl.

  • asdf global elixir 1.17.3-otp-27
  • asdf global erlang 27.1.2

Per project basis if you only need to use specific version of elixir for that specific project. Run it in the project directory.

  • asdf local elixir 1.17.3-otp-27
  • asdf local erlang 27.1.2

Let me know it this helps. Cheers!

justincalleja

justincalleja

Thank you for the reply. I’ve set the ssl3 path override. It did cross my mind to uninstall the homebrew versions. Keeping them around as a backup.

Mostly just posting comments in case someone else has difficulty getting started e.g. the running out of file descriptor issue etc…

Thanks for the feedback

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jeffmcompsci
Title: Design and Build Great Web APIs - typo “https://company-atk.herokuapp.com/2258ie4t68jv” (page 19, third bullet in URL list) Typo:...
New
yulkin
your book suggests to use Image.toByteData() to convert image to bytes, however I get the following error: "the getter ‘toByteData’ isn’t...
New
fynn
This is as much a suggestion as a question, as a note for others. Locally the SGP30 wasn’t available, so I ordered a SGP40. On page 53, ...
New
taguniversalmachine
It seems the second code snippet is missing the code to set the current_user: current_user: Accounts.get_user_by_session_token(session["...
New
s2k
Hi all, currently I wonder how the Tailwind colours work (or don’t work). For example, in app/views/layouts/application.html.erb I have...
New
redconfetti
Docker-Machine became part of the Docker Toolbox, which was deprecated in 2020, long after Docker Desktop supported Docker Engine nativel...
New
gorkaio
root_layout: {PentoWeb.LayoutView, :root}, This results in the following following error: no “root” html template defined for PentoWeb...
New
mcpierce
@mfazio23 I’ve applied the changes from Chapter 5 of the book and everything builds correctly and runs. But, when I try to start a game,...
New
New
davetron5000
Hello faithful readers! If you have tried to follow along in the book, you are asked to start up the dev environment via dx/build and ar...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Tailwind CSS is an exciting new CSS framework that allows you to design your site by composing simple utility classes to create complex e...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background Lately I am in a quest to find a good quality TTS ai generation tool to run locally in order to create audio for some videos I...
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New

Latest in Engineering Elixir Applications

Engineering Elixir Applications Portal ❯

Sub Categories: