markhildreth

markhildreth

Domain Modeling Made Functional questions

@swlaschin

Written in the persistence chapter under the section “Writing to a relational database”, that “we convert our domain object to a DTO and then execute an insert or update command.” I have a few questions on this.

1.) This doesn’t really seem to handle deletes. How would you recommend handle a command which deletes the root aggregate (and presumably all of its “children”)? Would the DTO just end up being a “null” which the persistence mechanism takes to mean “delete it all”?

2.) More troublesome, how would the aggregate root not be deleted but a child be deleted (e.g., removing an order line from an order).

Would we need to “mark” the line as deleted in our aggregate in order to know during persistence that it should be deleted? That seems like it would complicate the model for reasons of persistence.

Or perhaps our persistence logic deletes all order lines in the DB with IDs that are not in the order line DTO array?

Or maybe we retrieve the current state of the database as a DTO, do a diff with the DTO created as a result of our command

3.) In both of these questions (and specifically the second), there is the problem of concurrent transactions affecting the same aggregate. Are we essentially forced to use serializable transactions or record locking if we want to ensure that two transactions are not stepping on each others toes? Or is there another strategy here (besides strategies like event sourcing).

Thanks

First Post!

swlaschin

swlaschin

Author of Domain Modeling Made Functional

Thanks for the questions!

  1. Deletes generally just need an entity id, not a DTO. For a compound object like an Order, if the database supports it, I would set up a cascade delete. Otherwise you could query for the subobjects and explicitly delete them. In both cases I would hide all this logic inside the infrastructure component (API call wrapper) rather than exposing it to the domain logic.

  2. Removing a line from an Order would be treated as an Update from the domain’s point of view. It depends whether you want to expose the logic to the domain layer. If you want to hide it, I would pass in the modified DTO without the line and then, inside the infrastructure component (the API call wrapper), figure out which lines are missing (delete), which lines are added (insert), and which lines are changed (update). This approach means that ANY updates to the aggregate root (additions, subtractions, etc) are handled the same way, using the same infrastructure method. More complicated, but it keeps the domain logic simple.

  3. The problem of concurrent changes to the same aggregate is not specific to any particular design method and there are standard approaches you can use. If you have independent processes updating the database, you can use pessimistic concurrency (locks, transactions) or optimistic concurrency (versioning, timestamps). If everything is handled by one server (e.g. when doing microservices), then you can represent each aggregate root with an agent, and changes to the object are queued up and serialized that way. Or, yes, you can use event sourcing :slight_smile:

Hope this helps!

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

abtin
page 20: … protoc command… I had to additionally run the following go get commands in order to be able to compile protobuf code using go...
New
ianwillie
Hello Brian, I have some problems with running the code in your book. I like the style of the book very much and I have learnt a lot as...
New
edruder
I thought that there might be interest in using the book with Rails 6.1 and Ruby 2.7.2. I’ll note what I needed to do differently here. ...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-on Rust: question about get_component (page 295) (feel free to respond. “You dug you’re own hole… good luck”) I have somet...
New
brian-m-ops
#book-python-testing-with-pytest-second-edition Hi. Thanks for writing the book. I am just learning so this might just of been an issue ...
New
leonW
I ran this command after installing the sample application: $ cards add do something --owner Brian And got a file not found error: Fil...
New
oaklandgit
Hi, I completed chapter 6 but am getting the following error when running: thread 'main' panicked at 'Failed to load texture: IoError(O...
New
tkhobbes
After some hassle, I was able to finally run bin/setup, now I have started the rails server but I get this error message right when I vis...
New
Keton
When running the program in chapter 8, “Implementing Combat”, the printout Health before attack was never printed so I assumed something ...
New
dachristenson
I just bought this book to learn about Android development, and I’m already running into a major issue in Ch. 1, p. 20: “Update activity...
New

Other popular topics Top

Exadra37
Please tell us what is your preferred monitor setup for programming(not gaming) and why you have chosen it. Does your monitor have eye p...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Programming Ruby is the most complete book on Ruby, covering both the language itself and the standard library as well as commonly used t...
New
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New

Sub Categories: