xiji2646-netizen

xiji2646-netizen

Anyone else hitting Claude Code rate limits way too fast?

Been using Claude Code on Max for a few weeks and kept running into rate limits by early afternoon. Same tasks as colleagues who weren’t hitting limits at all. Figured it was just quota differences, but it turns out the issue was entirely on my end.

Anthropic just published an engineering post explaining how Claude Code’s cost structure actually works, and it changed how I use the tool.

The core mechanic: every request is built as a prefix chain (system prompt → tools → project docs → messages). The API caches that chain. If the prefix matches on the next request, those tokens cost 1/10 the normal price. If anything in the prefix changes, the cache invalidates from that point forward — full price recalculation.

The things I was doing that were silently killing my cache:

  • Switching between Sonnet and Opus mid-conversation with /model. Cache is model-bound, so every switch wiped everything I’d accumulated.

  • Opening a new claude session for every task instead of continuing the previous one.

  • Adding MCP tools mid-session when I needed them. Tool definitions are part of the cached prefix.

The fix that made the biggest difference: claude --resume. It restores your last session and picks up the cache chain where it left off. I’d never used it before.

Also: long conversations actually get cheaper over time because of how Claude Code’s compaction works. I was doing the opposite — short sessions, frequent restarts — which meant I was always paying full price for the first turns.

Full writeup here if you want the details:

https://www.anthropic.com/engineering/claude-code-prompt-caching

Curious if others have noticed the model-switching issue specifically — that one surprised me the most.

Where Next?

Popular Ai topics Top

AstonJ
AI has been a hot topic here on Devtalk recently, so along that theme: How useful do you think AI dev tools are right now and how useful ...
New
apoorv-2204
I’m reaching out to all software engineers, especially senior developers — I really want to hear your thoughts. I’ve always loved buildi...
New
apoorv-2204
General thoughts on google gemini ? IMHO , when compared chatgpt and claude sonnnet its pretty shit, and its feels broken,
#ai
New
Eiji
Yesterday a very interesting to discuss situation have happen. While StackOverflow still suffer a lot, because of chat bots, but yesterda...
New
xiji2646-netizen
I’ve been following Seedance 2.0 since ByteDance dropped it in February, and after a few weeks of testing through third-party APIs, I wan...
New
xiji2646-netizen
DeepSeek just released V4 and the pricing is hard to ignore. V4-Flash: $0.28/M output tokens. V4-Pro: $2.19/M. Both with 1M token contex...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Alibaba just opened public API access for HappyHorse 1.0, the model currently ranked #1 on Video Arena’s blind tests. What caught my att...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Curious how others deal with this: you start a refactoring task with your AI coding assistant, close the terminal, come back – and it has...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Claude Code, Markdown, and the Case for HTML Artifacts I do not think Markdown is going away. It is still the right format for README f...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Codex mobile in the ChatGPT app https://techcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2026/05/App-view.png?resize=1200,675) Codex shipped a batch o...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Tailwind CSS is an exciting new CSS framework that allows you to design your site by composing simple utility classes to create complex e...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code. ...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background Lately I am in a quest to find a good quality TTS ai generation tool to run locally in order to create audio for some videos I...
New