xiji2646-netizen

xiji2646-netizen

Has anyone else noticed Opus 4.6 getting worse at coding tasks?

I’ve been tracking this for the past two weeks and wanted to see if others are experiencing the same thing.

BridgeBench (independent hallucination benchmark) now shows Opus 4.6 at #10 with a 33% fabrication rate — down from #2 with 83.3% accuracy just weeks ago. That’s one in three responses containing fabricated information.

The root cause appears to be two default changes:

  • Effort level default dropped from “high” to “medium” (March 3, 2026)

  • Adaptive thinking introduced (Feb 9, 2026) — under medium effort, some turns get zero reasoning tokens

An AMD exec analyzed 6,852 sessions and measured a 67% reasoning depth drop. @om_patel5’s A/B test (same prompt, 4.6 vs 4.5) showed 4.6 failing 5/5 while 4.5 passed 5/5.

What’s working for me:


export CLAUDE_CODE_EFFORT_LEVEL=max

export CLAUDE_CODE_DISABLE_ADAPTIVE_THINKING=1

Or just /effort max\ per session.

Some devs are switching back to Opus 4.5 entirely (`claude-opus-4-5-20251101`).

Curious: are you seeing the same patterns? Have the env vars helped? Anyone found other workarounds?

References: BridgeBench (bridgebench.ai/hallucination), GitHub Issue #42796

Most Liked

peterchancc

peterchancc

Saw on X/Twitter that some people are also experiencing the same issue.

Where Next?

Popular Ai topics Top

AstonJ
Watching any? Any favourites? :upside_down_face:
New
AstonJ
I have a feeling we’re going to see a lot of threads about DeepSeek, so have put up a portal for it :003:
New
apoorv-2204
I’m reaching out to all software engineers, especially senior developers — I really want to hear your thoughts. I’ve always loved buildi...
New
kammy
Hi everyone! The other day I was having a debate with my friends about whether or not the top LLM models are “good at design.” I’d love ...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Anthropic launched Claude Design this week and there’s a lot of noise about the generation demos and the stock reaction. But the feature ...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Curious how others deal with this: you start a refactoring task with your AI coding assistant, close the terminal, come back – and it has...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Been using the skills repo (77K stars, #1 on GitHub Trending recently) with Claude Code. Sharing what worked and what did not. What work...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Google shipped 3.5 Flash at I/O 2026. The “budget” Flash model now beats 3.1 Pro on coding and tool-calling benchmarks. Key numbers (fro...
New
LatentLogic
I got tired of comparing Seedance 2.0 API providers. There are simply too many. I have personally come across at least 20–30 platforms, ...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Write Elixir tests that you can be proud of. Dive into Elixir’s test philosophy and gain mastery over the terminology and concepts that u...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
AstonJ
We’ve talked about his book briefly here but it is quickly becoming obsolete - so he’s decided to create a series of 7 podcasts, the firs...
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New