Eiji

Eiji

Phind Has Shut Down

Yesterday a very interesting to discuss situation have happen. While StackOverflow still suffer a lot, because of chat bots, but yesterday was not the end its of the story. However things are completely different for Phind service which, also offered a paid subscription Phind Pro, is shutting down first. Previously small companies were having problems after replacing humans with LLM, but now we see an entire service dedicated to “vibe search” dead. Hype at start and shutting down very soon. :chart_decreasing:

Changes on the market

I think that 2 things are happening at the same time:

  1. “AI” hype finally slows down - looks like people are starting to see that LLM would not do literally everything for them especially in the quality to which they are used to. This is nice, but I guess that’s a lot too late, because of point no. 2 … :backhand_index_pointing_down:

  2. Consolidation on the market - simply the big tech makes money on both providing LLMs and delivering chat bot services. They have the best experts for it, so their business is rather considered to be always safe. On the other side 3rd-party services while getting money were also in fact sponsoring the market consolidation in long term. :money_bag:

This would mean that people are getting used to LLMs and the situation finally stabilises. However that “stability” is based on a very few companies (which are owned deeply by one corporation/holding company btw.). What things would look like? We don’t need a huge changes from now on. We already have the new “game rules” and that’s all it matters … :light_bulb:


It’s easy to count …

Almost everyone is paying for LLM service and at the end those money always goes to BigTech. Not need to be smart to notice that 3rd-party services would temporarily fill their niche until the “official support” would be added to “GPT” and other models. As same as LLMs tend to replace search engines they also tend to be the first source for most (if not all) information. It’s just a matter of the time when other services would be sold or just shut down. :timer_clock:

However before owners would realise it, it would be too late for them. I believe it’s already too late like … just look … we have “LLM” integrated in almost everything. Would you “drop everything” and start with nothing? I could, but I would do nothing alone. Few times I tried that the fear or over hype are edge reactions and we should take things with a clear mind, but well … I guess that I just can’t agree with other people opinions (that are based on said fear/hype). :sweat_smile:


It reminds me …

Again rich people are getting more rich while others are paying the bills. Hooray for the virus hype! Hooray for the aliens hype! Hooray for the “AI” hype! “The time is close”. The time to pay all the bills that people kept on the debt. People really did the best to see what’s coming next. It just reminds me one video called: “I pet goat 2”. :goat:

The below screenshot does not look like something made 12 years ago, but something that was made recently to comment current situation:

FIreworks (new year), undead (people/civilisation) and that “wish” to “not disturb the fun”. I need to consider it as a new wallpaper. :heart_eyes:


Summary

One 3rd-party service is shutting down. Other services could be in similar case in next months/years. However for me not much would change (if any) … With or without Phind (and many other services) I just live day after day and chill watching all of this without any surprise. :sleeping_face:

How about you? Are you scared that your favourite service may shut down too? Or maybe you completely ignore it because of hype? Don’t tell me you are not scared or over-hyped as that’s not correctness or polite at all as others “feel” bad about it! “Shame on you!”. :joy:

Enough of fun, now more seriously … Maybe you would like to recommend some 3rd-party service that’s worth to use? After all while StackOverflow is dealing with a huge damage I don’t see such a big drop in activity on our forums … Maybe there is a chance for some lucky ones, hopefully those who would provide a high quality products/services … Things always like to change, but in a way we usually don’t expect. One thing I know for sure: we definitely live in the most “interesting times”. :thinking:

Most Liked

jaeyson

jaeyson

I really like Phind’s digrams they generate tho, too bad fun ride was short

Eiji

Eiji

True, but this is not some very cryptic and custom image generation feature. The diagrams are well known and could be added to any chatbot as an enhancement as “feature” as a bit too big word for it. There are simply existing JavaScript libraries that does that and all the chatbot is doing is generating the text representation which is then used to draw the image. One of those things that you found beautiful in it’s “simplicity”.

Where Next?

Popular Ai topics Top

AstonJ
Can you spot the AI generated person in the pic below? ▶ Spoiler Video here:
New
AstonJ
I have a feeling we’re going to see a lot of threads about DeepSeek, so have put up a portal for it :003:
New
kammy
Hi everyone! The other day I was having a debate with my friends about whether or not the top LLM models are “good at design.” I’d love ...
New
Eiji
Yesterday a very interesting to discuss situation have happen. While StackOverflow still suffer a lot, because of chat bots, but yesterda...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Woke up to this today: Claude Code’s complete source code exposed via npm source map. Not a snippet. All 512,000 lines. 1,900 TypeScript ...
New
xiji2646-netizen
I’ve been tracking this for the past two weeks and wanted to see if others are experiencing the same thing. BridgeBench (independent hal...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Just went through the Anthropic migration guide for Opus 4.7 and there are more gotchas than the announcement implied. Curious if others ...
New
xiji2646-netizen
DeepSeek just released V4 and the pricing is hard to ignore. V4-Flash: $0.28/M output tokens. V4-Pro: $2.19/M. Both with 1M token contex...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New
pagan
I am seeking a talented video creator who can help create stunning cinematic movies for the upcoming browser MMORPG Orizaya: Sisters of t...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New