timpritlove

timpritlove

Ash Framework: P1.0 Chapter 9: „Following a New Artist“: ash.extend runs into an error

Chapter 9, section “Following a New Artist” is first instructing to add a new domain function follow_artist to Tunez.Music. But this function demands a create: action on Tunez.Music.ArtistFollower that does not yet exist.

Adding such a function is then suggested in the next paragraph but as it is not properly marked to be actually added (there is no blue bar referencing the file in which the change should occur) this can be understood as a sidenote which will be fixed later as the text says that function is not in the form “we want”. So most readers will just take notice and proceed.

However, the book then tells the reader to first “enable GraphQL support for the ArtistFollower resource by calling “mix ash.extend Tunez.Music.ArtistFollower graphql”. But as the create action does not yet exist, this results in an error:

% mix ash.extend Tunez.Music.ArtistFollower graphqlCompiling 5 files (.ex)
== Compilation error in file lib/tunez/music.ex ==** (Spark.Error.DslError) [Tunez.Music.ArtistFollower]interfaces → interface → follow_artist:The interface of Tunez.Music.ArtistFollower refers to a non-existent action create(ash 3.5.37) lib/ash/code_interface.ex:11: Ash.CodeInterface.require_action/2(stdlib 7.0.2) erl_eval.erl:924: :erl_eval.do_apply/7(stdlib 7.0.2) erl_eval.erl:668: :erl_eval.expr/6(stdlib 7.0.2) erl_eval.erl:276: :erl_eval.exprs/6(spark 2.2.68) /Users/tim/src/tim/tunez/lib/tunez/music.ex:1: Spark.Dsl.before_compile/1

The book is not mentioning that and is then going on to iterate over the solution several times. I think this should be organised in a way where either no errors occur when following the editing recommendations or they should be mentioned and explained.

Also, edits for “change relate_actor …” and “policy action_type(:create) …” later on lack the change marks on the sidebar for which lines should be added.

First Post!

sevenseacat

sevenseacat

Author of Ash Framework

Ah that’s unfortunate, that we’ve missed a few of the marks for which lines to add :frowning: I thought I double and triple checked everything, but it seems I missed a few. Apologies for that!

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

herminiotorres
Hi @Margaret , On page VII the book tells us the example and snippets will be all using Elixir version 1.11 But on page 3 almost the en...
New
Mmm
Hi, build fails on: bracket-lib = “~0.8.1” when running on Mac Mini M1 Rust version 1.5.0: Compiling winit v0.22.2 error[E0308]: mi...
New
AndyDavis3416
@noelrappin Running the webpack dev server, I receive the following warning: ERROR in tsconfig.json TS18003: No inputs were found in c...
New
fynn
This is as much a suggestion as a question, as a note for others. Locally the SGP30 wasn’t available, so I ordered a SGP40. On page 53, ...
New
jskubick
I think I might have found a problem involving SwitchCompat, thumbTint, and trackTint. As entered, the SwitchCompat changes color to hol...
New
jskubick
I’m under the impression that when the reader gets to page 136 (“View Data with the Database Inspector”), the code SHOULD be able to buil...
New
hgkjshegfskef
The test is as follows: Scenario: Intersecting a scaled sphere with a ray Given r ← ray(point(0, 0, -5), vector(0, 0, 1)) And s ← sphere...
New
dtonhofer
@parrt In the context of Chapter 4.3, the grammar Java.g4, meant to parse Java 6 compilation units, no longer passes ANTLR (currently 4....
New
New
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
AstonJ
poll poll Be sure to check out @Dusty’s article posted here: An Introduction to Alternative Keyboard Layouts It’s one of the best write-...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New

Latest in Ash Framework

Sub Categories: