PaulSinnema

PaulSinnema

Are tools like CoPilot going to make bad developers?

I’ve tried CoPilot and it gave me insights I never thought of. These kinds of developments have a lot of potential but I’m a concerned.

It’s like using navigation when I drive. The navigation software takes away my concerns of getting to the right address at the right time. That is wonderful. But then the next day ask me to drive to the same location without the tool. I’m sure I cannot do the whole trip from memory because I didn’t need to pay attention during the first drive.

Or another example is the calculator. Kids nowadays don’t know how to calculate out the top of their heads. Ask any kid what the answer is to 5 x 7 and they grab their phone (or calculator) to give the answer.

The statement is that it’s a great learning tool but I think the opposite is true. Our brains are going to be less trained and we become totally addicted to and dependent on using the tools. Is that the way we want to go? I’ve been a developer for 45 years retiring soon but this development gives me worries.

What do you think?

#ai

Most Liked

AstonJ

AstonJ

I think you make some valid points. To me it’s both worrying and exciting, ultimately, at some point there won’t be a need to code - we’ll just tell the computer what we want and it will do it. Probably quicker and more efficiently too :lol:

There are lots of concerns around CoPilot tho, here’s one that cropped up today:

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
Thread to discuss ideas and thoughts on how developers might be able help in the Coronavirus pandemic.
New
AstonJ
What chair do you have while working… and why? Is there a ‘best’ type of chair or working position for developers?
New
AstonJ
In your opinion which programming languages are simple to use and easy to get started wither those who don’t have a computer science bac...
New
AstonJ
Looking at @siddhant3030’s photo from the Do you blog? thread, do you cover your computer or phone camera as a security precaution? Wha...
New
AstonJ
Just been adding some more portals, currently have the following languages: Apache Groovy C C# C++ Clojure CoffeeScript Crystal ...
New
AstonJ
Inspired by this post from @Carter, which languages, frameworks or other tech or tools do you think is killing it right now? :upside_down...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
chaptuck
I am thinking about getting a fitness tracker of some kind (probably one from Garmin). Have any of you developed your own widgets, watchf...
New
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Stop developing web apps with yesterday’s tools. Today, developers are increasingly adopting Clojure as a web-development platform. See f...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
AstonJ
poll poll Be sure to check out @Dusty’s article posted here: An Introduction to Alternative Keyboard Layouts It’s one of the best write-...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
New
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New