skellt

skellt

Apple Game Frameworks and Technologies: Misleading explanation of gloop end pos (p 62)

On page 62, right after the code snippet for func drop(dropSpeed: TimeInterval, floorLevel: CGFloat), is this line:

Here, you’re setting the initial position of the drop.

As the first explanatory line of text following the method it appears to be referring to the first line of code in the method: let pos = CGPoint(x: position.x, y: floorLevel). But this line is not setting the initial position of the drop. It is setting the end position of the drop to which it will animate. The drop starts up at the top of the screen and animates down to floorLevel.

The initial position of the drop is set elsewhere in spawnGloop(), which then calls drop.

Marked As Solved

Paradox927

Paradox927

Author and Editor at PragProg

Hi, David.

Thank you for pointing this out. I’ve updated the explanation, which will be made available in the next release.

However, for those reading now, the updated explanation reads as follows:

Here, you’re setting the end position of the drop; in other words, where you want the drop to land.

I also expanded the step-by-step that goes along with it—the updates noted in bold text:

  • First, you set the y-position using the input value stored in floorLevel.
  • Then, you add two scale actions to make the drop stretch a little; this gives it a drip-like > appearance.
  • Next, you create actions to fade-in and move the drop down the scene.
  • Finally, for some more visual appeal, you tweak the scale of the drop, and then run this sequence of actions. You give it a named key so that you can access this action later using its name.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

abtin
page 20: … protoc command… I had to additionally run the following go get commands in order to be able to compile protobuf code using go...
New
lirux
Hi Jamis, I think there’s an issue with a test on chapter 6. I own the ebook, version P1.0 Feb. 2019. This test doesn’t pass for me: ...
New
jeremyhuiskamp
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, vB17.0 (p9) The create table guestbook syntax suggested doesn’t seem to be accepted ...
New
leba0495
Hello! Thanks for the great book. I was attempting the Trie (chap 17) exercises and for number 4 the solution provided for the autocorre...
New
fynn
This is as much a suggestion as a question, as a note for others. Locally the SGP30 wasn’t available, so I ordered a SGP40. On page 53, ...
New
oaklandgit
Hi, I completed chapter 6 but am getting the following error when running: thread 'main' panicked at 'Failed to load texture: IoError(O...
New
rainforest
Hi, I’ve got a question about the implementation of PubSub when using a Phoenix.Socket.Transport behaviour rather than channels. Before ...
New
dtonhofer
@parrt In the context of Chapter 4.3, the grammar Java.g4, meant to parse Java 6 compilation units, no longer passes ANTLR (currently 4....
New
gorkaio
root_layout: {PentoWeb.LayoutView, :root}, This results in the following following error: no “root” html template defined for PentoWeb...
New
dachristenson
@mfazio23 Android Studio will not accept anything I do when trying to use the Transformations class, as described on pp. 140-141. Googl...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
AstonJ
Or looking forward to? :nerd_face:
503 15149 280
New
Exadra37
I am thinking in building or buy a desktop computer for programing, both professionally and on my free time, and my choice of OS is Linux...
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework. Brian Okken @brianokken Edited by Kat...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New

Sub Categories: